Author Topic: Roderick McLeod (1847-1916) Mayor of Ipswich, Queensland  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roderick McLeod (1847-1916) Mayor of Ipswich, Queensland
« on: Tuesday 13 July 21 18:05 BST (UK) »
I am checking into Roderick McLeod because I found (and lost) some information suggesting he was born in Evanton, Ross-shire (Easter Ross is of interest to me.)

His father is Roderick McLeod (1822-1896).  There are two Roderick McLeods one born on 18/03/1822 and the other on 24/06/1822 in Lochbroom to John McLeods, according to Scotland's People.  But according to the immigration records Roderick b.1822 parents names are Roderick & Margaret.  Roderick(b. 7 April 1847)'s obituary states his mother died when he was young.  This means his mother is not Briget Gavin but someone else.  Is it Penelope McDonald?  By chance there is a Roderick McLeod born in Lochbroom, Ross-shire on 7 April 1847 to father James McLeod.  Roderick's obituary states he came to Australia by the ship Alfred in 1838. 

Source:Collection & Research | NSW State Archives
Roderick MCLEOD 13 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay
Harriet MCLEOD 11 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay (not in family group)
Bridget MCLEOD 30 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay (from Co. Mayo, Ireland)
Norman MCLEOD 9 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay (not in family group)
(Roderick on original) Robert MCLEOD 36 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay
Margaret MCLEOD 16 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay (servant, could still be a daughter)

The year is therefore 1858 not 1838.  Confirms 1822 as father's birth year.  Bridget would be Roderick and Margaret's step-mother.

Then they made the journey to the Ipswich area by river paddle steamer Bredalbane.  There is a ship the HMS Hercules 1853 that sailed carrying a 21 year old Roderick - a shepherd that stayed in Cork, Ireland for an extended period.  It sailed from Campbelltown (rather than Skye as originally planned).  Smallpox caused the layover in Cork.  It would mean Roderick is likely from Harris.  It might be a possibility.  I am also wondering what the evidence of Roderick being born in Evanton, Ross-shire is, anyone know?  I rather think this family is from Gairloch or Western Isles, anyone know for sure?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Roderick McLeod (1847-1917) Mayor of Ipswich, Queensland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am confuddled, something is not making good sense to me.

I am checking into Roderick McLeod because I found (and lost) some information suggesting he was born in Evanton, Ross-shire (Easter Ross is of interest to me.)

His father is Roderick McLeod (1822-1896).  There are two Roderick McLeods one born on 18/03/1822 and the other on 24/06/1822 in Lochbroom to John McLeods, according to Scotland's People.  But according to the immigration records Roderick b.1822 parents names are Roderick & Margaret.  Roderick(b. 7 April 1847)'s obituary states his mother died when he was young.  This means his mother is not Briget Gavin but someone else.  Is it Penelope McDonald?  By chance there is a Roderick McLeod born in Lochbroom, Ross-shire on 7 April 1847 to father James McLeod.  Roderick's obituary states he came to Australia by the ship Alfred in 1838. 

Source:Collection & Research | NSW State Archives
Roderick MCLEOD 13 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay
Harriet MCLEOD 11 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay (not in family group)
Bridget MCLEOD 30 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay (from Co. Mayo, Ireland)
Norman MCLEOD 9 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay (not in family group)
(Roderick on original) Robert MCLEOD 36 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay
Margaret MCLEOD 16 Alfred 1858 Moreton Bay (servant, could still be a daughter)

The year is therefore 1858 not 1838.  Confirms 1822 as father's birth year.  Bridget would be Roderick and Margaret's step-mother.

Then they made the journey to the Ipswich area by river paddle steamer Bredalbane.  There is a ship the HMS Hercules 1853 that sailed carrying a 21 year old Roderick - a shepherd that stayed in Cork, Ireland for an extended period.  It sailed from Campbelltown (rather than Skye as originally planned).  Smallpox caused the layover in Cork.  It would mean Roderick is likely from Harris.  It might be a possibility.  I am also wondering what the evidence of Roderick being born in Evanton, Ross-shire is, anyone know?  I rather think this family is from Gairloch or Western Isles, anyone know for sure?

I have read two digitised obits at Trove,   but they are for a chap who died October 1916, a mayor of Ipswich.  Both say he was born 1847. 

One obit definitely says he was 11 when he arrived per the Alfred, and the image has 1858. 

Do you have the Qld BDM death registration document, or are you relying on the index information only.  The actual document can be downloaded for about $20 AU, and could be quite informative, depending on the informant.  It is possible the informant provides the details to those two reporters too.  One obit also has a great deal of info about his father's life before migrating. 

Do you have access to the actual digital images of those obits, or just the OCR versions?   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roderick McLeod (1847-1916) Mayor of Ipswich, Queensland
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
Just to confound you some more:  Born at Everton, Rothsay, Scotland?

I have put the wrong year, date of death 7 October 1917 should be 7 October 1916.

And his birth 7 April 1847 should be 11 April 1847 (source Ipswich City).

https://billiongraves.com/grave/Roderick-McLeod/18039710

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Roderick McLeod (1847-1917) Mayor of Ipswich, Queensland
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 22:50 BST (UK) »
You can contact a volunteer Moderator for help changing the topic heading on all the posts by using the Report to Moderator button.  It just needs to be tweaked to 1916 instead of 1917.

I still cannot find any mention of 1838 in the obits.

I read Rod'k not Rob't on the NSW archives digitisation papers

Do you have the Qld BDM bdm documents.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
No.  I've changed my post to indicate 1916 rather than 1917.

I could not locate the obit for the father on Trove.  There are several other Roderick McLeods and I realize that Roderick McLeod of Terrica might easily get mixed up.   The Roderick McLeod I am interested in died at Dalby Monumental Cemetery and on the stone his date of death is given as 26th Feb 1896.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 23:11 BST (UK) »
No.

The Qld bdm marriage cert would likely have first hand info given by Roderick, including responses to ...

:) when and where born (sometimes including village, not just name of country)

:) Parents names including mother's maiden name,

Birth cert for youngest child can give details of all older siblings, plus when and where that baby's parents were born, and when and where mar ried...  the admin system was very detailed and informant driven on verbal responses in  mid to late 1800s....

JM

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 23:16 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry that gives the name Christine McDonald as Roderick McLeod’s first wife, and therefore the father of Mayor Rod McLeod

Marriage from Scotlands People
MCLEOD   RODERICK          CHRISTIAN MCDONALD/   23/07/1840   
075/    20 109   Lochbroom
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 23:22 BST (UK) »
McLeod Daughters:
Margaret has the parents names Roderick McLeod and Margaret McDonald on her death rego. (1922)
Harriett has the parents names Roderick McLeod and Christiana McDonald on her death rego. (1921)
Christina has the parents names Roderick McLeod and Christiana McDonald on her death rego. (1944)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 23:28 BST (UK) »
Well found Neale.   ;D

I was typing up similar.   ;D

JM