Author Topic: Unsourced Citation  (Read 869 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Unsourced Citation
« on: Wednesday 14 July 21 09:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but here goes again! My tree I recently uploaded to Ancestry has many many unsourced citations on there. When reading them some are blank, some have census details some have my notes on births marriages and deaths. Is there any way I can delete the lot of them without going through them individually. I realise I will have to go through all my people to add the census and other images but it is a serious pain in the neck going through useless citations, some people have as many as thirty!!. Thankyou.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Unsourced Citation
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 13:41 BST (UK) »
I get the same effect if I upload a GEDCOM from my offline software.

It takes the text that I have recorded against an event and generates an "Unsourced Citation" for it.

I usually copy the text, which is usually something like my transcript of a register entry, and paste it into the associated event Description field. It then shows in the profile without having to bring up the associated source.

Once I'm sure it looks OK, I delete the "Unsourced Citation". I could have deleted it as soon as I'd copied the details, but until I get the rhythm going, I wait until afterwards. Also, Ancestry truncates long Descriptions, so I have to deal about those while the original still exists.

I know it's  pig, but it works (eventually).
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 July 21 10:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your answer. I think that is also what has happened with mine. Some of the citations just have a few words from part of my notes etc. I want to be able to delete all the citations, but it looks as if I have do it one by one...... ???
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 July 21 10:48 BST (UK) »
I know it doesn't help now, but when I created the gedcom (in Family Historian) to upload to Ancestry, I had the option to exclude all the 'add ons'. This produced  a very simple file.   Does your tree software have that facility?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 July 21 11:11 BST (UK) »
My software does have that feature, but I prefer to have the stuff available and convert the style of presentation as I reference a part of the tree.

I start by converting just the direct ancestors, then (eventually) go round those off to the sides.

I think that by deleting the information, the tree becomes less useful than having it there but under silly headings.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 July 21 09:16 BST (UK) »
Gadget, I had the option when I did the Gedcom to not include notes and other options and I did select that as I just wanted the basic details. But it has included all my notes and other facts such as census, but just the census reference numbers. It is all of these I want to delete, but looking at Ancestry's "help" it does not appear to be possible. Thank you for the reply.