Author Topic: Richard Stephenson b.1700s - d. before 1823, Yeoman of Willerby, East Yorkshire  (Read 306 times)

Offline Annabellarockefeller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would be so grateful if anyone can help me as I feel I am at a dead end with my Stephenson family history research.  I really want to establish whether my 9 x grandfather, Richard had siblings.

Richard Stephenson was the father of the Reverend William Stephenson (1782-?) who held the ministry for the Congregational church in Thorngumbald in 1815.  He was a non-conformist and listed as gentry in Baines’ directory in 1823.

There are two possible baptism records in 1782 for William, one in Cottingham (which shows parents as Richard and Ann) and one in Kirkella which shows father as Richard.

So grateful for any information. 

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Stephenson b.1700s - d. before 1823, Yeoman of Willerby, East Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 August 21 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been scrolling through the Beginners Board to see if I could help anyone and came across your post.

I googled ‘Rev William Stephenson of Thorngumbald’ and found your post on Mumsnet (https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/genealogy/4207524-The-Reverend-William-Stephenson). It looks like you asked for help identifying William’s father. I’m just wondering why you now believe his father was called Richard and how you know he was a yeoman of Willerby who died before 1823? The person who responded to your Mumsnet post suggested a possible baptism but, with such a common name, it is difficult to know for sure without more proof to back it up. It would be helpful if you explained the research you’ve already done and the sources you have found to come to this conclusion, just so we don’t re-tread the same steps.

Here is what I have found (you will, no doubt, already know all of this but I am adding it for others, who may be able to assist):

William Stephenson was born in 1782, according to both of his marriage licences.

In 1805, he married Mary Nutchey in Beverley, Yorkshire.

Together, they had 3 sons, all baptised in Hull:

-   Charles Christus Stephenson (bap.1807)
-   Henry William Stephenson (bap.1809)
-   David Nutchey Stephenson (bap.1810)

In 1812, he married Harriot Annison (nee Horwood) in Sculcoates, Yorkshire. The witnesses were Mary Taylor & J Morley (who was also at one point a minister at Thorngumald Congregational Church and at Hull, where William’s children were baptised) - https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Paull/ThorngumbaldCongChurch).

Together, they had 4 children, all baptised in Kingston upon Hull.

-   Joshua Horwood Stephenson (bap.1813)
-   William Daniel Stephenson (bap.1817)
-   Hephzibah Sarah Stephenson (bap.1821)
-   Joseph Langdale Stephenson (bap.1821)

Hopefully I haven't missed any children!

None of his sons was called Richard, which would be unusual (but not impossible) if that were his father’s name.  The will of the only Richard of Willerby I can find was proved in 1780, 2 years before William’s birth.

Ideally, in order to identify his parents, you need to find the names of William’s siblings. Have you found William’s will? A man of his stature would definitely have one and, if you are lucky, he may mention, siblings, nieces or nephews. Most of my ancestors’ wills do mention at least one member outside of the nuclear family.

It would also be good if you could find an image of his first marriage so you can see the witnesses. Again, most of my ancestors’ marriages were witnessed by their siblings. However, this is contingent on his being born in the area.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset