Author Topic: Why do I need to enter password.  (Read 1256 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Why do I need to enter password.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 July 21 12:08 BST (UK) »
I must say that I'm a fan of fingerprint recognition. Many business laptops have this feature. You train the software with a few of your fingers, then at logon you swipe one of these, then the software provides the matching credentials to the operating system.

The best one I used was on a company-issue Lenovo, where those credentials were held in the BIOS area. Open the lid and swipe your finger. The laptop powers up and boots. Those credentials are then passed on to Windows and you are logged on. This is a real boon when you are forced to use complex passwords with a minimum length of 14 characters.

Both my husband and I have Lenovo PCs, but haven't used the fingerprint recognition, mainly because my OH put this on his 'phone for both my and his fingerprints to open the 'phone and it didn't work with my fingerprints, so he decided to disable that feature in case the 'phone decided not to open when he swiped with his fingers.  He now uses a numeric password for his 'phone.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 July 21 12:28 BST (UK) »
PC's (and phones) with fingerprint recognition tend to store only 1 set of prints - or even 1 fingerprint.

My old laptop (Sony Vaio) used the fingerprint feature - my daughter very kindly overwrote my fingerprints with her own! Fixed that!

My phone (Blackview A7 Pro) also has fingerprint recognition - but only my finger ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 July 21 13:58 BST (UK) »
PC's (and phones) with fingerprint recognition tend to store only 1 set of prints - or even 1 fingerprint.

My old laptop (Sony Vaio) used the fingerprint feature - my daughter very kindly overwrote my fingerprints with her own! Fixed that!

My phone (Blackview A7 Pro) also has fingerprint recognition - but only my finger ;D

I've never come across PC software which was restricted to a single user. I normally set them up so that using a different finger will log on with a different account. On one machine I registered 2 or 3 fingers for each of 3 accounts - standard rights with company email etc., extra rights for fixing customer PCs, and a local administrator (just in case).

Did your daughter not have a separate account on your laptop?

I can well believe that phone makers don't believe that phones can have multiple users.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 July 21 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thank You for your help. The previous family member who used pc gave me sole ownership of pc.
Victoria
COLBECK,WHITEHAVEN CUMBERLAND
COLEBECK,HOPE,MILLER,LIVERPOOL
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
ROCHE,ROACH,MAHER,FOY IRELAND
SANDFORD.TYNAN, LIVERPOOL.
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND
SANDFORD NEWCASTLE/UPON/TYNE.

LANCASTER,GOWLAND,NORTHUMBERLAND
FOY, ROSCOMMON IRELAND,LIVERPOOL.
SMITH,HAMPSHIRE, & LIVERPOOL