Author Topic: New Member - Beginning the Journey  (Read 1161 times)

Offline BrownEyedGirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Member - Beginning the Journey
« on: Thursday 15 July 21 11:41 BST (UK) »
So I have just begun to construct my Family History.
Prompted, would you believe, by being contacted by a Probate Genealogist, working for a Solicitor, who is administrating the Estate of a relative we knew nothing about!
And yes, I did think it was a scam at first!
From the PG, I've already been able to track back to 1881.
Googling on my own, potentially back to 1818.
Through the PG, I'm now in touch with 4 relatives in the USA, and potentially a further 2 if we get a reply from snail mail to last known address.
Been on RootsChat for all of 5 minutes and already found a relative by marriage on here - fascinating!
But I can't reply to her till I've made 3 postings.....so....
This is my first posting, just to say "hi" to everyone, what a brilliant site, hope you enjoyed my journey's beginning story :-)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Member - Beginning the Journey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 July 21 18:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

You could reach your 3 posts by replying twice to this post!!!!  ;D
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 July 21 18:38 BST (UK) »

Been on RootsChat for all of 5 minutes and already found a relative by marriage on here - fascinating!
But I can't reply to her till I've made 3 postings.....so....
This is my first posting, just to say "hi" to everyone, what a brilliant site, hope you enjoyed my journey's beginning story :-)

You can reply by posting on the relevant thread ;D
That way, all interested parties get to see it.

You need 3 posts to send a Private Message; but I rarely communicate that way ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 July 21 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome ;D

Sounds like you have had a great start to your research journey
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 July 21 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello and a very warm welcome to Rootschat! Starting this journey is a wonderful adventure! After you have gathered a few more surnames, please be sure to post them on the surname interests table located at the bottom of the screen. Rootschatters are a group of people who LOVE to help others on their quest!  Happy hunting! Most sincerely, patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 July 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome from me also and  good luck with your family research  :)

Rosie

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 July 21 21:41 BST (UK) »
I just want to say welcome to rootschat. What a great way to start your research.
I have found the contributors to this site to be very helpful and they are quite happy to express their views over a wide of subjects (genealogy related or not).
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 July 21 21:47 BST (UK) »
. and it's a warm "hello" from me too.  I'm sure you will have many fruitful suggestions from rootschatters.

When you have time I suggest you publish your surname intersts.  I don't know if you noticed at the bottom of every page there's white writing on brown background with the link for taking you to "Surname Interests" and once you get there, you'll see the link for  people with the same surname insterests as you have.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 July 21 21:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome!

My biggest bit of advice would be to take it slow and document everything sensibly and neatly, so that if in the future you see something you wrote down you don't have to wonder "where did I find that?" or if someone asks how you got a certain piece of information (especially if they have an alternative interpretation) you don't have to awkwardly admit that you don't remember. I'm years into researching and I have an unwieldy behemoth of a tree that I hope is accurate but it is so big now I don't have the motivation to start from scratch to do what I wish I'd done in the first place!