Author Topic: New Member - Beginning the Journey  (Read 1162 times)

Offline BrownEyedGirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Member - Beginning the Journey
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 July 21 23:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all responders - a lovely welcome to what I can see is a lovely, chatty place filled with folk who love helping others dig out stuff you thought could never be dug up! Some good advice up here too, thank you :-)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 July 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
When I started my family tree journey there were lots of great books and lots of help and information to digest, which was great.

Technology has long since moved on and maybe if you are a listener rather than a reader, then can I suggest this brilliant series of podcasts.

They take you every step of the way from the absolute basics and are constructed in a really easy to listen to format, can be listened to in the car, on a train etc

I wish I had something like this when I started.

By the way I have no affiliation to the website or podcast just find the whole series a great and easy way to learn.

Website is here and the links etc are there

https://amateurfamilyhistory.com/

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 July 21 17:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

I fully endorse Ayashi's advice about record keeping, I wish I'd had that advice the many, many moons ago I started, as a result of not doing that I've had to go over already discovered info on many occasions to find out just where I did find it - extremely frustrating.

You'll find that on here unlike some sites I've been on in the past you'll not be 'talked down to' or receive 'sneering comments like don't you know that', just straightforward and kind help.

The depth of knowledge on here among the posters is phenomenal, it still amazes me after years of coming here.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 16:46 BST (UK) »
Oh, and further to my previous advice, save images or screenshots (even of transcriptions) if you can, rather than just noting where you got it from- I've found on a few occasions that records have mysteriously gone missing from a site I know I found it on. A whole village in Wales vanished at one point- I subsequently found out that someone had requested the records for that area removed from online access and duly they were. What a pain!