Author Topic: Marriage - Maidstone - 1915 (Stevens & Smith)  (Read 4088 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage - Maidstone - 1915 (Stevens & Smith)
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 25 July 21 02:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks again everyone!

I've shared the news with my grandmother and the rest of the family. My grandmother is 87 and was fascinated by all what we'd found! She said there were never any relatives of her mother's mentioned. Any relatives known to her were from her father's side.

I'm now going to trace any living descendants of the Lamkin\Langley\Smith siblings and share the childhood photos with them that were taken in Maidstone and see if they recognise anyone by any chance!

Thank you for all your help,
Glen  :)
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 25 July 21 21:09 BST (UK) »
I read thr Scavenger Hunt a few years ago and it's so good to know it's possibly been solved.

Well done.

I hope your grandma is very happy.

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 26 July 21 15:47 BST (UK) »
Archibald Frederick Shepherd's death is registered under two names: Archibald and also Arthur.

Interestingly, his burial record is Arthur.

So, I've re-checked the birth records and I believe his birth is probably Arthur Frederick Shephard. (Shephard spelt slightly differently, aswell as the different first name)
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 10:00 BST (UK) »
Archibald Frederick Shepherd's death is registered under two names: Archibald and also Arthur.

Interestingly, his burial record is Arthur.

So, I've re-checked the birth records and I believe his birth is probably Arthur Frederick Shephard. (Shephard spelt slightly differently, aswell as the different first name)

Is this the birth record you think might be Archibald's?

SHEPHARD, ARTHUR  FREDERICK SHEPHARD    mmn HARE 
GRO Reference: 1886  D Quarter in BARNET  Volume 03A  Page 241

Possible parents marriage

Jun 1875   
HARE    Emma        Amersham    3a   551    
SHEPHERD James        Amersham    3a   551

James Shepherd Single age 34 father William
Marriage 01 May 1875 Beaconsfield, Buckingham
Spouse:   Emma Hare age 21 father James

There is this 1890 baptism (might be a late baptism) looking at the original it appears to be the wrong image on Anc*y so can't check to see if the birth year is 1886  ???

Archie Frederick Shephard
Baptism 30 Mar 1890 Little Stanmore, Harrow
Father:   James Shephard Mother:    Emma
also baptism of Ethel Amelia Shephard on same day/place

1891 Piece:   1001 Folio:   115 page 19
James Shepherd   27
Emma Shepherd   28
Annie Shepherd   15
Rosie Shepherd   13
William Shepherd   10
Archibald Shepherd   5 Finchley, London
Ethel Shepherd   1

Emma SHEPHERD, widow of 1 Prospect Cottages Woodburn Town Buckinghamshire
Died 20 April 1935 Probate 25 May to Archibald Frederick SHEPHERD general labourer and Margaret May Rogers (wife of Harry)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk. Yes, I think that's him.

I'm going to trace any living Shepherd/Shephard descendants, and also any Lamkin/Langley/Smith family descendants, in the hope that one of them knows what became of Caroline.

I shall also share with them, the childhood photos that we have of Dorothy in Maidstone and see whether they recognise anyone!

I'll keep you posted,

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 04 December 22 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I thought you'd like to know that I heard back from one of the living descendants of the Langley family. They were able to tell me who some of the faces were, in one of my great grandmother's photos! One of the Langley aunts of Caroline was this man's grandmother!! I think we can safely say that my great grandmother, for whatever reason, left her whole life behind and started a new life, with a new name(!), during WW1. (Caroline became Dorothy!)

Thanks again for all your help,