Author Topic: Old Maps  (Read 578 times)

Offline linda51

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Old Maps
« on: Thursday 15 July 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking at the 1910 Inland Revenue Maps and can see what appears to be separate sets of numbers : 270; 224 PT; PART 108; 227; PART 224. Typical smaller numbers would be e.g. : 110  & 3-247 written underneath; or 111 and 9-810 written underneath. There's also B.M. 119-6. Some of the properties have names as well as numbers and all fields have numbers too.
Do these numbers relate to ownership, title deeds or tax reference? 
There's also F.P. and G.P. - footpath and general path? Both of these have double dotted lines, one side of which is in bold ink. The narrower paths have what looks like an uncrossed long f going through them as do some of the boundaries and properties. There's also a W - which I know indicates a well.
Help appreciated. TIA.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Old Maps
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 July 21 18:46 BST (UK) »
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline linda51

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 July 21 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Don.
I'm about to see if I can track down the field books showing details of individual properties. Do you think these would be more or less detailed as title deeds for properties?
Linda

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 July 21 09:48 BST (UK) »
If these are based on OS maps, FP means Footpath, GP = GuidePost, and BM = Bench Mark with height in feet above sea level - it refers to a broad-arrow symbol close by, which points to a similar mark on a structure, usually a stone wall.
The curly 'f' means the areas separated by that line are part of the same property or area, for purposes of acreage.  Continuous or dashed lines on a track indicate the presence or absence of a fence or wall.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 July 21 09:53 BST (UK) »
The bold dotted line mean that the footpath is fenced on one side only. The long “f” means that the two areas of land are linked - usually in terms of a field reference number or area.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 July 21 15:29 BST (UK) »
Google Maps are in big trouble in Scotland, their recommended route up Ben Nevis, for example, if followed could get people killed. The map for An Teallach shows the path leads to a precipice. The John Muir Trust which owns Ben Nevis have so far had no response from Google Maps.

Keeping right on to the end of the road could prove fatal! ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 July 21 16:12 BST (UK) »
Anyone climbing Ben Nevis using Google Maps deserves to get killed! That said, on the original OS Landranger series, it was easy to confuse a footpath with a parliamentary boundary; so much so that the Snowdonia map was issued with a sticker on the front reminidng people which was which!

Offline linda51

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 July 21 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ray and Andrew. I really appreciate your response.

Linda