Author Topic: Daniel McCarthy - death registration 1860 puzzler?  (Read 853 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel McCarthy - death registration 1860 puzzler?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 July 21 10:01 BST (UK) »
One by one they all go offline.
Oh well, so will I.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 July 21 10:44 BST (UK) »
I think that between heywood and jonw65 they have found enough evidence to say his death was registered in Newcastle.
The Death reg that heywood found in Q2 1860, though its not 'quite' the same name is near enough to have perhaps been mistranscribed into the index

and the work done by jonw65 finding inquest reports for people on the same page, year and quarter in the index  lends extra weight to these all being registered by the Coroner's office at the same time.

Great work, both of you!

As per, good though it all sounds, only the death cert would confirm its the same man. Given the lack of a registration unless we accept the name discrepancy,  the Newcastle Registrar's Office 'may' check the register against the details you supply  - though they aren't usually as helpful as other registrar's offices are in the North East.

Shy bairns get nowt though, so its worth an ask.

Boo

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 July 21 11:47 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find the death registration of "my" Daniel McCarthy and then took a chance that he was the Denis Daniel McCarthy of the right age who died in Newcastle. 

It was a relief to receive the snail mail copy death cert to discover that he was indeed the correct one.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 July 21 12:13 BST (UK) »
I think that between heywood and jonw65 they have found enough evidence to say his death was registered in Newcastle.
The Death reg that heywood found in Q2 1860, though its not 'quite' the same name is near enough to have perhaps been mistranscribed into the index

and the work done by jonw65 finding inquest reports for people on the same page, year and quarter in the index  lends extra weight to these all being registered by the Coroner's office at the same time.

Great work, both of you!

Seconded  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 July 21 12:23 BST (UK) »
Order was given by a John Williams .. perhaps he was the coroner? ???

In this case I think the column 'Order given by' simply lists the name of the person who actually arranged the burial. Looking through other pages of this register shows that very many of the surnames in that column are the same as that of the person being buried.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 July 21 16:30 BST (UK) »
I see a lot has been going on since this morning ..
Yes, I agree that between Heywood and Jon I think enough evidence is there to indicate that the death was registered.  Brilliant work! :D
Thank you so much!  You are stars!  Jon in particular take a bow! :D
I will be updating the Find A Grave entry this coming up weekend.
Thanks so much too for showing the articles.  I presume the 'dead house' would be where the river accident deceased would be taken. 
My Grt x 3 Grandfather also drowned in the Tyne like this after a 'liquor' night out at the pub and even being a Tyne Pilot' was not enough to save him. :'(
That is good that at least Daniel got a decent send off with military honours. :)
I will do the 'belt 'n' braces approach' ;) and enquire further over the weekend about the name discrepancy Boo.  It might come to nought but as you say 'shy bairns get nowt'.
Thank you once again to all who have helped on this thread, it has all been very much appreciated.  👏

That is good that you have the correct death cert for your ancestor, Rena.  Hopefully, you might be able to find his resting place too now, either through FamilySearch or for free via the local studies using the form.   :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner