Author Topic: Death of Joseph Watterson, Jan 25, 1897, Philadelphia  (Read 2117 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Joseph Watterson, Jan 25, 1897, Philadelphia
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 July 21 10:41 BST (UK) »

James Hurl - 1859 Ireland - 12 January 1918 Philadelphia (aged 59 years)
Father Hurl - Mother Hurl - Certificate Number 10819

James Hurl   Burial
Death Date abt 1918 - Burial Date 12 Jan 1918 Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Organization Name Belvue Cemetery.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 July 21 10:45 BST (UK) »
There was a James Hurl married Jane Kirkwood Magherafelt in 1872 - Possible  ??

James Hurl Date of Registration:   1872 Magherafelt, Ireland
Volume 11 Page number 897

Jane Kirkwood 1872  Magherafelt, Ireland
Volume 11 Page number 897

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 July 21 10:48 BST (UK) »
son of James Hurl and Jane Kirkwood - William Hurl - Birth Date 28 Aug 1873
Birth Place Bellaghy, Derry, Ire.   Bellaghy, Derry, Ire.
Father James Hurl - Mother Jane Kirkwood.

Pennsylvania, U.S., Federal Naturalization Records - William Hurl
Declaration Age 28 Naturalization Declaration
Birth Date 28 Aug 1873 Co. Derry Ireland
Arrival Date 5 Sep 1899 Arrival Place New York City, New York
Declaration Date 18 Oct 1940 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Declaration Number 158371

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 July 21 10:59 BST (UK) »

1900 census Lee Street Philadelphia Ward 33, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

James Hurl 46   Head. Born Ireland. Imm1883. Married 1873. Years in USA 26 years
Jane Hurl 49   Wife. Married 27 years.
William Hurl   24   Son. Born Ireland.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M3WJ-GDM

1910 census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MG6F-MQK

William Hurl - 28 August 1873 Ireland 15 January 1954  (aged 80 years)
Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Father James Hurl - Mother Jane Kirkwood - Certificate Number 7520

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 July 21 11:41 BST (UK) »
There is an anc tree which you might want to check out -  (includes James Hurl 1853 - 1918 but no Sarah)

William John Hurl 1812–1888
born 1812 - Caraloon /Magherafelt Northern Ireland died 1888 -  Magherafelt, Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

Mary Ann Watterson 1821–1897
born  1821 - Carraloon Northern Ireland
died 8 March 1897 - Magherafelt, Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

Marriage - 9 Dec 1839 - Artrea, Magherafelt Parish, Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Sandra

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 July 21 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra,
You have been working very hard again. Thank you. You are an excellent researcher. I have been comparing what you have found to what I have and to the online trees and to my contact in Ontario that you gave me before, and there is quite a mess.
Online, on ancestry, it seems that there are two William John Hurls married to Mary Ann Wattersons, one marriage in 1839 and one in 1859. I am going to need some time to think about all this. The James Watterson who married Jane Kirkwood had father James Hurl according to his marriage record in 1872. According to your reply at 10:41, his mother was also Hurl.
According to the tree of Joseph Watterson and Sarah Hurl on familysearch, her parents were James Hurl and Mary who I think is Mary Watterson who I think were married Feb 21, 1851 at Woods and his father was Daniel. I am awaiting confirmation that this Sarah had a brother James which is  quite likely.
As I said, I need some time to sort this all out. There were so many Watterson/Watterson marriages,  Watterson/Hurl marriages and Hurl/Hurl marriages. But thanks so much for all the documentation that you find as it does help  immensely.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 July 21 19:03 BST (UK) »
Ref the reply 10.41 - it wouldn't necessarily mean that the mother's maiden name was Hurl.
It could have been a generalization from the informant.

I thought it was worth looking at James Hurl because he was buried in the Raines plot which linked him to Sarah Watterson Raines.  If he wasn't Sarah Watterson Jnr Uncle or brother to her mother, then he could be a cousin of her mother !! Didn't see any obit or death notice for him at the time but one may turn up which might help. I did look at a William John Hurl who married in 1859, he married a Mary Watterson but his father was suppose to be John Hurl (1812) and Nancy (Ann) Quigley.

William John Hurl who was born 1812 - 1888 had parents listed as John Hurl (1793 - 1838)  and Ann Cassidy (1794 - 1870)

Opened another puzzle in a tangled web.  Spent many hours trying to work out the relationships but nothing positive.  Hope you have better luck.

Sandra

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 July 21 05:23 BST (UK) »
Some emigration records show a relative or friend at either end of the trip which may help to identify the family that the emigrant belonged to. For instance James Hurl says in 1900 that he emigrated in 1883. Can we find that?
Of even more interest to me is the emigration of Joseph Watterson who later married Sarah Hurl in 1885 in Philadelphia. The tree on FamilySearch says there was immigration in 1875 and 1885 but it doesn’t really say who is emigrating at which time. There may be valuable information  in the immigration record providing it is not just a list or an index.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 July 21 09:52 BST (UK) »
Sadly that is not the case with the earlier immigration records, they provide basic information which might include age, sex, literacy, occupation, country of origin, port of embarkation, date of arrival into New York, and ship name.  At that time it would not show the relative or friend at Port of departure or the relative or friend they were going to.

Sandra