Author Topic: James Murray born ca 1805 61st & 87th Regiments  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Murray born ca 1805 61st & 87th Regiments
« Reply #72 on: Monday 02 August 21 22:21 BST (UK) »
On no census do we have Mary Ann living with her husband. So i think we can say that they were estranged, not long after marriage, and the birth of son Robert in 1869.
In 1871 Mary Ann is living with her mother and sister, and son John. Son Robert is with his aunt.
In 1876 Mary Ann’s son John dies.
In 1881 Mary Ann’s only other son Robert, is living with his Aunt (father’s sister) who takes him to USA in 1884.
Mary Ann cannot be found on the 1881 census in Scotland, or there after.
If Mary Ann was still alive in 1884, I don’t think she would have let her only living son go off to USA.
She disappeared, possibly died, between 1876 and 1884, probably between 1876 and 1881. Or there was some other serious problem, that meant she was incapable of looking after a child.
If she was working as a servant, she might not be able to care for a child. I came across a couple of possibles for her working as a servant in England in 1881 census, but there is not enough information to know for certain it is her.

Is there any mention of Mary Ann on her mother’s death cert of 1886?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 08:35 BST (UK) »
I will look. I did wonder if she was in an asylum under her initials?

ADDED: Death 17 May 1886 @ Balnagown, Nelley [?] Bridge aged 59 widow of John Reid, sergeant 75th Scottish Borderers father Cornelius Morton farmer decd mother  blank Morton MS unknown decd informant John MacVean son-in-law. CoD malignant disease of stomach & Liver, jaundice.

I did find a Mary SMall boarder in Kensington in 1901 born Scotland but living on own means so unlikely to be our Mary
RG13 Piece:27Folio:59Page Number:1
Fanny Wright 58 wid own means
Emily Branch 75 boarder S own means
George E Wright 22 clerk S
Mary Small 52 S own means

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
I have run out of ideas at the moment. Seems like I have searched everywhere, that she is not.

I found these indexes, but don’t know that they are helpful
https://www.scottishindexes.com/mcresults.aspx?pn=30828
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 11:16 BST (UK) »
You have had a anmazing run of ideas so thank you. I didn't know of that resource, will investigate.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON