Author Topic: James Murray born ca 1805 61st & 87th Regiments  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Murray born ca 1805 61st & 87th Regiments
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 July 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
Oh that's great, thank you all so much. Lots to work on now.

ADDED - but the pension record found by ShaunJ gave the date of death as 1853 against a correct pension [for my James] date of 13 Oct 1846, also the Gallowgate James states born in London  ???

But he obviously isn't the linen bleacher
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 July 21 17:15 BST (UK) »
I presume 'Pen' in the last column of burial record stands for Pensioner.
ADDED - I think it says 'Poor'.
If it says 'Poor', it implies that he was receiving support from the Parochial Board, and if so there should be records of his application for support, which should be in the care of Aberdeen Archives https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/services/libraries-and-archives/aberdeen-city-and-aberdeenshire-archives
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 July 21 18:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I had a look at the catalogue for Parochial Board records but Aberdeen parish does not seem to be present. Should I be looking for something else?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qrr/
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 July 21 19:21 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling that the Aberdeen parochial board records were recycled as waste paper during WW2.

Offline Forguette

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 July 21 20:25 BST (UK) »
Perhaps under church records. The parish would be Greyfriars.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 July 21 20:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you all, seems unlikely I can find them. No Greyfriars in parish list on Aberdeen Archives. I did find this at the National Archives @Kew catalogue for Greyfriars parish
1845-1996: minutes, accounts, communion rolls   
Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives: Town House Branch
CH2/492

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F201238
I would need to commission a private researcher to look at those.

I also looked here
https://www.oldscottish.com/aberdeen-greyfriars.html#Lookups
Board of Supervision poor relief appeals
The Board of Supervision was established under the 1845 Poor Law Act. One of its tasks was to hear appeals by paupers against inadequate poor relief granted by Parochial Boards. These appeals were recorded in the Board of Supervision minutes. Cases were often heard over an extended period. The minutes may contain a variety of information, including about other family members, medical conditions and other circumstances. For more information about these records, see here.
We do not currently have any records for this parish.

They have some accounts but starting in 1874.

This is a list of parishes for which Poor Relief records survive [no Greyfriars]
https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2018-11/Poor%20Parishes%20list%202018.pdf

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 July 21 22:32 BST (UK) »
Perhaps under church records. The parish would be Greyfriars.
No. Too late. The kirk ceased to be responsible for the poor after 1845 when the parochial boards were set up.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 July 21 16:13 BST (UK) »
Good to know thank you. Looks like my search for any of James's rdescendants bites the dust.