Author Topic: Wallsend Bishops' Transcripts before 1813  (Read 403 times)

Offline Peter L. Mitchell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wallsend Bishops' Transcripts before 1813
« on: Saturday 17 July 21 01:13 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find details of a marriage on the 25th of April 1789 at Wallsend but cannot find any links to records before 1813. Does anyone know if these records are available and, if so, how to find them"

Thanks,
            Peter

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wallsend Bishops' Transcripts before 1813
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 July 21 01:25 BST (UK) »
Transcriptions of Wallsend marriages are on Find My Past - don't know what kind of information you are looking for but generally at that time is was A married B and if you are lucky might give status.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 July 21 01:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette. I'll give it a try.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 July 21 08:42 BST (UK) »
According to the Durham University Library catalogue BTs for Wallsend do exist prior to 1813 but the Family Search Catalogue indicates that these were not in the digitised images they had from them
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1821290?availability=Family%20History%20Library

FreeReg (transcriptions) only have 1813 onwards in the database (transcribed from the available BTs online)

Tyne and Wear Archives have the parish records on microfilm - am unsure if they are allowing visitors to use the microfilms at present (covid related).

North Tyneside Local Studies (in North Shields) will have the parish records on microfilm too (same caveat about visitor access).

The original parish registers are held by Northumberland Archives, and you can order a digitial copy from them for £5.

As Annette says the info on the record at that time is likely to be limited, you 'may' get witness details but its rare to get details of parents for the bride and groom. IF the marriage was by licence though that could open up further possibilities as that year would be included in the Calendar for Bonds and Allegations, which 'may' produce more clues/info.

Boo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 July 21 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo.

Thanks for this. I know that there is limited information about weddings on these records. I'll give Northumberland Archives a try (can't drop in as I'm in Australia).

Thanks again.

Peter

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 July 21 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hmm, as far as I am aware the Archives still don't have an online payment facility, though they will deliver images via email, I have to phone and pay by card. That could well be a problem for you - the cost of the phone call may outweigh the cost of the record?

If you have an LDS family History Centre near you and can get there, they do have digital images of these  Parish records but they can only be accessed on the Centre's computers.

Our local FHC not yet re-opened, but I'll be there like a shot when it does, if you don't mind a wait I can add this to my list and get back to you (holding breath not a good option, lol, no idea when they will feel its safe to re-open)

Boo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 July 21 09:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo. I've just emailed Northumberland Archives with a query but I know I won't hear from them until next week. That's a great idea about the LDS Family History Centre. We are currently in a very severe lockdown so I'll have to wait. I have a number of options to explore, so will hold off on your very kind offer. I'll let you know if I need to take it up.

Thanks again for your help.

Peter

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 July 21 09:34 BST (UK) »
North Shields local studies (North Shields library) seem to have those records.  I would either ring or email them.  They are usually very quick.  It is open now. :)
Scroll down for contact info.

Look and click on Parish records for St Peter - info held seems to go back to 1600s. :)
North Shields Local Studies is allowing visitor access and people are able to access microfilms and other records.  Safety measures are in place though and pre booking must be made and there is only limited time slot access for such visits in person.

https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/category/1017/local-studies-and-information
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 July 21 09:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I'll give them a try.

Peter