Author Topic: Are you a Genealogist or Family Historian?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a Genealogist or Family Historian?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 July 21 15:22 BST (UK) »
It has also made me a historian on the villages and towns my ancestors lived, as it gives a picture of how they lived as well. Often in census records, the villages had houses that were not numbered and it just says "cottage" or just the schedule, then the name of the shop or pub, and it can give an idea of where your ancestral cottage was.

The amount of family names I see in ancestral churchyards and in the rolls of honour is good as well. Many may be distant cousins I never knew of before, so i do some research to see if they connect and many do, whereas some do not, it is sometimes a surname coincidence, especially with Smith, Brown, Turner or Archer etc.

I think of it that we are telling the life story of our ancestors to an audience, if all we had was dates it would only be a spreadsheet of numbers, it's digging behind that to find social context that brings colour to your tree
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 July 21 21:11 BST (UK) »
I have 3 2xgreat grandparents who were born, 2 of them in May 1851 and the other in Jan 1852. So very close in age. From Suffolk and Oxfordshire, and amazing how someone born in Oxford city in Jan 1852 and someone born a long way away in rural east Suffolk would share descendants.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 July 21 21:23 BST (UK) »
That's what, 150 miles?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 July 21 22:15 BST (UK) »
That's what, 150 miles?

Not this old chestnut again!. You are comparing it with the distances travelled America which is about 2500 miles in width, I am in the UK and 150 miles is a long way for us.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 July 21 23:10 BST (UK) »
By 1850, there was a fairly extensive network of railways and, if there were trains, then there must have been passengers who wanted to travel on them.

"In the early days of  British railways, trains ran up to 78 mph by the year 1850."
https://worldwiderails.com/how-fast-did-early-trains-go/

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 July 21 23:41 BST (UK) »
These days we would check social media to see where the jobs were.   Our forefathers either heard of work via word of mouth or agents of employers would visit the area.  Additionally people tended to visit local feeing fairs where they might be tempted by a job offer whether they were looking for work or not.

The description I would give myself is "detective" especially now that I really have to dig deep to find scraps of information.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 July 21 23:45 BST (UK) »

Not this old chestnut again!. You are comparing it with the distances travelled America which is about 2500 miles in width, I am in the UK and 150 miles is a long way for us.

I'm in the UK and, at that time, I had ancestors travelling from Scotland to North Wales. From North Wales to Co Durham (in the 1840s), and to London and Yorkshire,  etc,. etc.  Not mentioning those who went to North America, Australia and New Zealand.

By then, not only had roads and shipping improved but canals (some 50 years earlier in some cases)  and railways existed.  This was  the age of high industrialisation - e.g. the Great Exhibition was held in 1851.

Any social and economic history book covering that period would show all this.

Add -Gaskell's North and South is worth reading if you prefer contemporary novels

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 July 21 00:21 BST (UK) »
There have always been people who stayed put and others who wandered far afield.  That's how we got out of Africa in the first place.  In North America, I've got plenty who followed Horace Greeley's advice and headed west but I've also got some who are still in Marquette County, Wisconsin on the very land settled by their ancestors in 1849.  In fact, there are some in Maine who have been on the same farm since about 1800.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 July 21 12:53 BST (UK) »

I'm in the UK and, at that time, I had ancestors travelling from Scotland to North Wales. From North Wales to Co Durham (in the 1840s), and to London and Yorkshire,  etc,. etc.  Not mentioning those who went to North America, Australia and New Zealand.

By then, not only had roads and shipping improved but canals (some 50 years earlier in some cases)  and railways existed.  This was  the age of high industrialisation - e.g. the Great Exhibition was held in 1851.

Any social and economic history book covering that period would show all this.

Add -Gaskell's North and South is worth reading if you prefer contemporary novels

And mine, several of my direct ancestors moved around all over the country and one even went to the US in 1886. But 150 miles is still quite a way, even if many people did travel that far and more. I have an ancestor from Algarkirk in Lincs who was in Colchester Essex by 1550 when she married. She mentioned rellies in Lincolnshire in her will and found her dad came from Algarkirk.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix