Author Topic: Parish burials outide the parish  (Read 367 times)

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish burials outide the parish
« on: Saturday 17 July 21 19:14 BST (UK) »
Tangential to me last query is the identifying on the burial register of St Anne's Soho of the various parishes whence came the individuals buried from there. This seems very odd to me but it was the normal practice it seems - why would someone from St James Piccadilly or St Giles Cripplegate be buried from St Anne's Soho?

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish burials outide the parish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 July 21 20:29 BST (UK) »
I don't think I've got the answer you want - but here goes.

Originally I thought you had a copy of a page from the diocese church but I see it's the parish records.

St. Anne's was built in part of the parish of the original parish of "St Martins In The Field".   This might explain some burials and then there's burials in other parishes.  I think it possible that relatives lived and were buried in other parishes and their old lair had  room for more family corpses.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 July 21 21:23 BST (UK) »
I don't think I've got the answer you want - but here goes.

Originally I thought you had a copy of a page from the diocese church but I see it's the parish records.

St. Anne's was built in part of the parish of the original parish of "St Martins In The Field".   This might explain some burials and then there's burials in other parishes.  I think it possible that relatives lived and were buried in other parishes and their old lair had  room for more family corpses.

That's what I was thinking but anted another person's perspective. I noted that a couple of marriage were listed as both at St Anne's and St Martin in the Fields so I assumed there was a connection, but so many different parishes, though all were not terribly far away - I was just taken aback. Many thanks for the reply!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 July 21 21:33 BST (UK) »
St James, Piccadilly had a separate burial ground from 1790 until 1853, located in Camden.
The cemetery became St James's Gardens in 1878 with only a few gravestones lining the edges of the park.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 July 21 21:44 BST (UK) »
It was quite normal for someone to be buried in a neighbouring Westminster parish. These parishes are all close together. There may have been a son/daughter living there, or someone may have worked in one parish and resided in another -- there are all sorts of possible reasons.

It will be St Giles in the Fields, by the way, not St Giles Cripplegate (the C indicates a child burial). St Giles in the Fields is adjacent to St Anne Soho.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 July 21 21:55 BST (UK) »
It was quite normal for someone to be buried in a neighbouring Westminster parish. These parishes are all close together. There may have been a son/daughter living there, or someone may have worked in one parish and resided in another -- there are all sorts of possible reasons.

It will be St Giles in the Fields, by the way, not St Giles Cripplegate (the C indicates a child burial). St Giles in the Fields is adjacent to St Anne Soho.

Very helpful information!