Author Topic: Who was Charlotte Couchman?  (Read 706 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who was Charlotte Couchman?
« on: Sunday 18 July 21 00:47 BST (UK) »
On the 1861 Census of Charlotte Street Islington, Charlotte Couchman lived in the household of Joseph Couchman. She is given as 12 years old, and is the niece of Joseph.
Also living in the household, besides Joseph’s wife, mother in law, and 7 of his own children, are Emma and Mary A(nn) Couchman, also nieces of Joseph. Mary Ann is 9. and Emma is 14 (I think. Her age is transcribed as 19, but it doesn’t look like a 9 to me, besides which she is not given as having an occupation, which at 19 she surely must have had).

Joseph’s brother was Henry Couchman. He and his wife both died in 1855, so this would make sense that the young children are with their uncle Joseph. Henry's wife was Elizabeth Carver.
Henry and Elizabeth had 7 children from 1835 onwards. Carver is given as mmn on the GRO. Emma and Mary Ann were the youngest two. Mary Ann Charlotte (transcribed as Coachman on GRO), born August 1851, and Emma Sept 1848.
I can find no trace of Charlotte Coachman on the GRO or other sites. At 12 years old she should have been born about 1849, but they’re a bit hazy with ages.
In 1851, Henry and Elizabeth only have Frederick aged 14, Henry aged 8, and Emma aged 2 at home.
I have found the death registrations for the remaining children between 1842 and 1848.
Can’t find  a marriage or death for Charlotte though.
There is a possibiity of another brother to Henry and Joseph - a Thomas Couchman was born 1811. Different church and different occupation to the father of Henry and Joseph though, so not convinced it’s the same family. And I can’t find him after that anyway, so I think he must have died.
Any ideas?
Many thanks
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Charlotte Couchman?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 July 21 03:20 BST (UK) »
Henry and wife Elizabeth had a number of children, some of whom died as you know.

In 1851 the ages of sons Frederick 14 and Henry 8 are the wrong way round which confused me at first plus with dau. Emma 2.

However, the 'nieces' with Joseph in 1861 are not, I believe, the daughters of Henry and Elizabeth.

In 1861 Clerkenwell Henry Couchman (junior) 23 is now married to a Hannah 22 - with him are his siblings: Frederick 18, Emma 12 and Mary A. 10.

So, with the 4 siblings together in 1861 just who is with Joseph in Islington I don't know!!   Possibly not even Couchman's and were dittoed in error?   Who can say.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 July 21 04:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette
Yes, I've seen the other 1861 Census where Emma and Mary Ann are with their older brother Henry, and the 1851 one where the boys' ages are swapped round.
I didn't want to complicate my first post too much by adding all that in!

Joseph would certainly seem to be the brother of Henry - the father of all these 3 children.
Their ages, places of birth and occupations all fit, and Joseph's marriage was luckily in 1838 so the addresses, father's names and occupations all add up.

The 1861 Census was taken was taken just 6 days after Henry was married. Would he have had his three younger siblings living with him?
I've considered that he put them down on his census returns as that is where they were going to live, but on the night of the Census, they were staying with uncle Joseph and their houseful of cousins.
It wouldn't be the first time people appeared twice on the same Census!

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 July 21 07:58 BST (UK) »
Baptism. (Family Search)
Mary Ann Charlott(e/a)  Co(a/u)chman. 4 Jan 1852. St Brides, Fleet Street. Parents Henry  and Elizabeth.
Born 12 Dec 1851.

GRO Index.
Birth. Coachman, Mary Ann Charlotte. Mar Q 1852. St Pancras. Mmn Carver.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 July 21 08:22 BST (UK) »
Baptism image is available on Ancestry.  Surname definitely Couchman, address is 25 Chad's Row and occupation for Henry is Printer.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 July 21 11:54 BST (UK) »
Baptism. (Family Search)
Mary Ann Charlott(e/a)  Co(a/u)chman. 4 Jan 1852. St Brides, Fleet Street. Parents Henry  and Elizabeth.
Born 12 Dec 1851.

GRO Index.
Birth. Coachman, Mary Ann Charlotte. Mar Q 1852. St Pancras. Mmn Carver.

This would be Mary Ann aged 9 in 1861.  We need to find Charlotte born c1849 and aged 12 in 1861.

Debra  :)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 July 21 12:21 BST (UK) »
Joseph and Henry possibly had another brother. There is a Thomas Collin Couchman baptised in Southwark on 3 Feb 1811 s/o Thomas and Charlotte.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 July 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks everybody for your replies.
As Debra says, Mary Ann Charlotte born 1852 is the one aged 9 in 1861- she looks to be the sister Charlotte aged 12.
Or at least they are both given as nieces of Joseph.
As I said in the first post. the other possible brother to Joseph and Henry, Thomas Collin Couchman, born 1811 in between Joseph and Henry, gives a totally different occupation for father Thomas. Plus, I can't find anything definitively for him after this.
You'd Couchman would be quite an unusual name, and easy to research, but there are a surprising number of them!
She may have to remain a mystery!

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 July 21 07:25 BST (UK) »
Probably Thomas snr with Joseph, Mary and Joseph jnr in the household of Mary Jenkins in 141
Piece: 726 Book  4, Folio 12, Page 18. Thomas is a labourer, Joseph is a printer.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott