Author Topic: Who was Charlotte Couchman?  (Read 710 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Charlotte Couchman?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 July 21 11:05 BST (UK) »
The difference in occupation is a puzzle
Shoemaker on baptism of Thomas Collin Couchman and warehouseman of Sutton street on baptism of Henry on 30 Jan 1814 and Joseph on 16 June 1816.

Have I got the right marriage for Thomas and Charlotte? Charlotte was Charlotte Hearnding widow nee Collman, married on 24 June 1810. Ann Collman is a witness. There was a son John Hearnding born in 1805 by Charlotte's first marriage to Isaac Hearnding. Could he have adopted Couchman as a surname when his mother remarried? He would be Joseph's half brother and if he married and had children they would be half nieces and nephews.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 July 21 11:42 BST (UK) »
on the 1851 census Thomas Couchman is with Mary Jenkins in Crown Court St Brides - same house but separate schedules. He is a stationer , born Kent (no town given) age 67. On his burial record on 25 August 1851, his age was recorded as 65.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 July 21 23:52 BST (UK) »
Well done Lizzie! I think you have found one missing piece anyway  :)

I had found the 1841 where Thomas lived in the household of Mary Jenkins. And found his son Joseph had married Mary Ann Jenkins, so Mary Jenkins was his wife's mother.

I had found Thomas's burial in August 1851, but couldn't find him in the 1851 Census - nothing came up on a search.
I can see why now looking at Mary Jenkins at Crown Court - he is helpfully transcribed as 'Thomas Earickman'!!.
So he and his son's mother in law both live at number 5 Crown Court.
And now we have a place of birth - Kent.
I did wonder if he had come from Kent - when you're looking through the Couchman records, a lot of them do seem to come from Kent.
Brilliant!
Ancestry throws up a Thomas Couchman born 1791 father Stephen in London. Stephen was a documented printer in London. I've traced this Thomas, and he was buried a few days later, so it can't be him.
Stephen Couchman's will of 1819 mentions all his children. There is no Thomas mentioned.

Yes. I think the marriage of Thomas and Charlotte Hearnding in 1810 is the right one. She was a widow previously married to Isaac Hearnding at St Brides.
That's an interesting idea that the son from her first marriage may have taken the Couchman name.
But if he did, wouldn't any children he had still show up on the GRO with the Couchman surname? There's just no Charlotte Couchman registered.
She may have to stay a mystery.

Many thanks for all your help.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs