Author Topic: Joseph DOUGAN, born March 1886, Belfast  (Read 2148 times)

Offline David Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph DOUGAN, born March 1886, Belfast
« on: Sunday 18 July 21 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I was wondering whether anybody has any knowledge re the death/burial of a Joseph Dougan, born March 1886 in Belfast.

I know that he was a career soldier, enlisting in the British Army in 1908 in Belfast and separating in 1929.  He served for many years at the Garrison on Gibraltar, and also in India.  He also served in France as a gunner during WW1.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate any information on him after he left the army in 1929 and we cannot identify any information regarding his death or burial site.

I know it is a long shot but just thought I would throw it out there in case somebody has come across him during family history searches etc.

Thanks.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: JOSEPH DOUGAN, BORN MARCH 1886, BELFAST
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 July 21 10:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, David  :)

Don't know anything about his military record... maybe some of our military experts might help.

However, just linking some records for others to peruse.
Birth 1886   MMN Mullins
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1886/02606/1962412.pdf

1901 census
Residents of a house 4 in Albert Place (Smithfield, Antrim).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Smithfield/Albert_Place/972456/

Best of luck with your research  ;D

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JOSEPH DOUGAN, BORN MARCH 1886, BELFAST
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 July 21 10:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

When you mention ‘separating’ do you mean from his family?

There are  private trees, one is yours I  think, which have a death but no details in 1937.
I think one or two mention 1941 also. Have you checked deaths for those periods?

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline David Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph DOUGAN, born March 1886, Belfast
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 July 21 01:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies.

The separation mentioned in my first post was from the army.

There is a bit of a mystery surround Joseph Dougan.  Surviving family members (all grandchildren) were led to he died about 1937 but I can find no evidence of it.  I have found an entry of a Joseph Dougan dying in Royal Victoria Hospital on 12 Jan 1941 and, although there are some positive points, I am unable to confirm this is the correct Joseph Dougan.  I am also unable to locate the burial record of the Joseph Dougan who died on 12 Jan 1941.  My 'Ancestry.com' tree currently has the 1941 death listed as a possibility.  All the 1937 listed deaths have originated from the unsubstantiated family 'belief'.

The birth record link below on Irish Genealogy shows a DOB of 25 March 1886.  His baptism record though (obtained from the Church) shows he was baptised on 21 March 1886 with a DOB of 18 March 1886.  Just to muddy the waters even further, I have possession of some of his military documents where his DOB is listed as 4 March 1886.  I am inclined to lea towards the baptism record.

It seems that Joseph Dougan's wife and children did not speak about him at all to his grandchildren over the years and there is some speculation mounting now that he may have left his wife and family in the late 1930s.

As I say, I have put together quite a good timeline on him now from birth until when he left the army in 1929.  I also just found a record in the Belfast Street Directory which showed him at the family home (Donegall Gardens, Belfast) in 1932.  Whatever happened to him (either died or ran out on the family) seems to have occurred between 1932 and 1937.

Any further assistance is most appreciated.

Regards,

David

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 July 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
who did he marry and what were his childrens names - maybe we can find a familytree for one of them ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 July 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I was wondering whether anybody has any knowledge re the death/burial of a Joseph Dougan, born March 1886 in Belfast.

I know that he was a career soldier, enlisting in the British Army in 1908 in Belfast and separating in 1929.  He served for many years at the Garrison on Gibraltar, and also in India.  He also served in France as a gunner during WW1.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate any information on him after he left the army in 1929 and we cannot identify any information regarding his death or burial site.

I know it is a long shot but just thought I would throw it out there in case somebody has come across him during family history searches etc.

Thanks.
unless this record is wrong - 10 years out with his age and his birth - it looks like there are TWO Joseph Dougan who served in Gibralta ??

any advice welcome - I am a little stumped with this - if one said aged 15 - born 1886  OR  aged 25 born 1896 - I would accept a Mistranscribed record - but stating 15 AND b 1896 - it looks to be transcribed properly .
I wonder if your Joseph Dougan b 1886 did serve in Gibralta ???

Event Type:   
Census
Name:   
Joseph Dougan
Event Date:   
Event Place:   
Europe
Event Place (Original):   
, Europa Gibraltar, Overseas Military,
Sub-District Number:   
Enumeration District:   
District Number:   
Birth Year (Estimated):   
Birthplace:   
Belfast, County Antrim
Marital Status:   
Single
NIL
Document Type:   
................is any one else stumped by this record ???
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 July 21 10:45 BST (UK) »
It reads 25 yrs, garstonite.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 July 21 11:14 BST (UK) »
As I say, I have put together quite a good timeline on him now from birth until when he left the army in 1929.  I also just found a record in the Belfast Street Directory which showed him at the family home (Donegall Gardens, Belfast) in 1932.  Whatever happened to him (either died or ran out on the family) seems to have occurred between 1932 and 1937.

Remember that city directory are compiled, usually, the previous year so perhaps from 1931 onwards. However, sometimes old information was carried forward from previous issue so even 1931 is merely a guess.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 July 21 12:49 BST (UK) »
How was his wife described on her death certificate?  Was she a wife or a widow?