Author Topic: Joseph DOUGAN, born March 1886, Belfast  (Read 2131 times)

Offline David Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph DOUGAN, born March 1886, Belfast
« Reply #36 on: Friday 23 July 21 05:11 BST (UK) »
It might be worth checking this death, even if only to rule it out, as location, year and age fit well for your chap:

D/1937/55/1007/69/369   Joseph   Dongan   4th June 1937   51      Male   Belfast(pre-1973 Q4)

If, as is highly possibly, a written 'u' has been indexed as an 'n', and should be Dougan, you can ask GRONI to consider same for correction.

PS:  I have contacted GRONI to have the entry amended.

My wife says that the 'usual' cemetery for a Catholic in the Donegall Gardens area would be Milltown Cemetery.  She says this a big cemetery with no church attached.  Is this one of the cemeteries that would be included in the Belfast City Council burial records?

If not, is there any other source of information regarding burials at Milltown Cemetery?

Many thanks again.

David

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 23 July 21 09:28 BST (UK) »
Wonder news that the correct death has been found  ;D

Most Catholic churches don't keep burial records so that might be a dead end.
Milltown Cemetery was my first guess if he died in Belfast. The Belfast burial site only covers City Cemetery, Dundonald & Roselawn (I had searched there the older day using 'D' as the surname, 'Ava' as the address, etc. with no matches.
There used to be gravestone photos for Milltown online but the link is now broken (don't know if link still there or was completely removed from internet)- see reply #15
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=535464.9
However, using Wayback Machine site I have checked sections 1, 4 & 5 to check for any headstone (not having much luck finding other sections).
I'm not sure of contact details, what you might be able to find out, etc. but someone else here is likely to be able to advise.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 23 July 21 09:43 BST (UK) »
I believe some Milltown databases are available via Ulster Historical Foundation membership and/or Roots Ireland credits.

In addition, see some further comments and contact details posted by Elwyn on https://irelandxo.com/ireland/antrim/belfast-antrim/message-board/milltown-rc-cemetery-belfast
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 23 July 21 09:44 BST (UK) »
I believe some Milltown databases are available via Ulster Historical Foundation membership and/or Roots Ireland credits.

Both only seem to go up to 1895  :(

Offline David Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 24 July 21 07:43 BST (UK) »
Wonder news that the correct death has been found  ;D

Most Catholic churches don't keep burial records so that might be a dead end.
Milltown Cemetery was my first guess if he died in Belfast. The Belfast burial site only covers City Cemetery, Dundonald & Roselawn (I had searched there the older day using 'D' as the surname, 'Ava' as the address, etc. with no matches.
There used to be gravestone photos for Milltown online but the link is now broken (don't know if link still there or was completely removed from internet)- see reply #15
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=535464.9
However, using Wayback Machine site I have checked sections 1, 4 & 5 to check for any headstone (not having much luck finding other sections).
I'm not sure of contact details, what you might be able to find out, etc. but someone else here is likely to be able to advise.

That's a bit of bad news re the Catholic Churches not keeping death records.  That was my only real hope of finding him.

I haven't heard of the Wayback Machine.  I will check it out as well as your other link.

I may have to try and convince one of my wife's Irish Relatives top contact Milltown Cemetery to see if they have any records.  At least we now have a date of death, thanks to you guys/girls.,

Thanks again.

Offline David Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 24 July 21 07:44 BST (UK) »

In addition, see some further comments and contact details posted by Elwyn on https://irelandxo.com/ireland/antrim/belfast-antrim/message-board/milltown-rc-cemetery-belfast

Thanks again Scotmum.  I shall certainly check them out.

He must be buried somewhere!

Offline David Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 24 July 21 07:47 BST (UK) »

Just checked my old messages and see that I have already been in contact with the Ulster Historical Foundation (Kevin Keenan).  No joy there but he has also made some suggestions.

Unfortunately, he was still working on the 1941 Joseph Dougan.  I shall get back to him with the 1937 death record to see if that makes a difference but, in all honesty, the records are fairly similar.

David

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 24 July 21 08:16 BST (UK) »