Author Topic: Joseph DOUGAN, born March 1886, Belfast  (Read 2139 times)

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph DOUGAN, born March 1886, Belfast
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 08:54 BST (UK) »
The newspaper snippets are from FindMyPast Irish newspapers (subscription site) but my changing the search terms slightly in multiple searches you can usually tease out relevant details.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/irish-newspapers

Regarding the age of Dorothy Dougan- she could be a daughter born to Minnie before marriage/supposed marriage that assumed the surname of Joseph Dougan which would make her older.
The 1969 death for Minnie Dougan is probably my 'favourite' too but since she was 85 years old she might have died in a nursing home in which case the informant might not be daughter Dorothy (if she died in hospital the informant might not be a relative either).

Have another idea for you to try and will send PM.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 10:50 BST (UK) »
42 Ava Drive was listed for sale in newspaper February 1969.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 11:02 BST (UK) »
Some further snippets in case helpful. In acknowledgement notice in Belfast newspaper after Joseph's death,  Minnie mentioned No 2 King's Bridge LDV (local defence volunteers?),  Old Contemptables Association (likely The British Expeditionary Force which served in Flanders) and the British Legion. Also,  Minnie placed an acknowledgement in a Ballymena newspaper, thanking kind friends and neighbours and mentioning an Orange lodge and a Royal Black preceptory.

This was not the first time Minnie had placed a notice in a Ballymena paper. In 1940, she placed an In Memorium for an aunt, Mary Jane Mailey.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 21:15 BST (UK) »
Well, I think I found Minnie this morning but wasn't online since we had thunder all afternoon- no rain, just thunder. Anyway found Minnie but haven't sorted it all out yet.

Starting with this death notice that scotmum mentioned earlier-
Ballymena Observer, 24 May 1940: MAILEY—In loving memory of my dear aunt, Mary Jane Mailey, who died 21st May, 1939. A token of remembrance To one I shall never forget. Minnie Dougan, 42 Ava Drive, Belfast.
I then found Mary Jane Mailey in 1901 and 1911 census (once I looked up age at death on GRONI) with father in 1901 and other relatives in both 1901 & 1911. No Minnie with her unfortunately but the more I searched the more I could sort out.
Skipping ahead to another In Memorium notice for 1st anniversary of Mary Jane's death-
Ballymena Observer, 24 May 1940: MAILEY —In loving memory of my dear mother, Mary J. Mailey who was called home the 21st May, 1939, and was interred the New Cemetery. Forever with the Lord. J. Henry 51 Warden Street.
By this point I'd already found 2 illegitimate daughters of Mary Jane Mailey-
1) Lizzie married William McCartney
2) Jane/Jeanie married Thomas Henry

I found Minnie in 1901 and 1911 not far away but not sure who her parents were (possibly an unmarried sister of Mary Jane's who had an illegitimate daughter Agnes).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Ballymena_and_Town_and_Urban_District_of_Ballymena/Queen_Street/927098/ (Minnie Mealie)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Ballymena_No__3_Urban/Queen_s_Street/118255/ (Minnie Malie)
In 1901 she's 16 but had aged 6 years by 1911 although still a servant in the same household!

Now what I haven't found yet-
1) birth of a daughter Dorothy (online births only up to 1921 for N.I. counties)
2) marriage to a Joseph Dougan (which is really the most important missing bit to see who this Joseph Dougan was)

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 22:48 BST (UK) »
M/1926/H1/221/5/89   Joseph   Dougan   Mailey   3rd February 1926   Ballymena

M/1926/H1/221/5/89   Minnie   Mailey   Dougan   3rd February 1926   Ballymena

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 July 21 08:04 BST (UK) »
Couldn't stand the suspense any longer so I got a few credits to view the certificate-
3 Feb.1926 Cunningham Memorial Church Cullybackey
Joseph Dougan, full age, bachelor, Constable, Church St. Ballymena, father- David John Dougan, farmer
Minnie Mailey, full age, spinster, Oranmore Ballymena, father- Stafford Mailey (deceased), labourer.
Witnesses- Frank Alexander, May McKelvey

If Minnie's aunt is Mary Jane Mailey then Stafford Mailey was her grandfather, not father.

However, looks like this Joseph Dougan can be eliminated and the search goes on ...

Offline David Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 July 21 08:21 BST (UK) »
42 Ava Drive was listed for sale in newspaper February 1969.

Thank you Scotmum.  That is good information also as it gives some support to the Minnie Dougan who died in 1969 as being the person in question.  Although she died later in the year, I guess it is likely she may have transferred to a nursing home prior to death.

Thanks again.

Offline David Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 22 July 21 08:31 BST (UK) »
Some further snippets in case helpful. In acknowledgement notice in Belfast newspaper after Joseph's death,  Minnie mentioned No 2 King's Bridge LDV (local defence volunteers?),  Old Contemptables Association (likely The British Expeditionary Force which served in Flanders) and the British Legion. Also,  Minnie placed an acknowledgement in a Ballymena newspaper, thanking kind friends and neighbours and mentioning an Orange lodge and a Royal Black preceptory.

This was not the first time Minnie had placed a notice in a Ballymena paper. In 1940, she placed an In Memorium for an aunt, Mary Jane Mailey.

All good information.  If you look at the death certificate, you can see that the person present at his death was a Martha Mailey.  I could not locate her but, your information confirms she was a relative.

I just had a look where Balymena is, a little distance outside Belfast.  Maybe she was from that area originally.  I wonder if Joseph was as well.  Something else to chase up.

The acknowledgement notes are interesting, considering 'my' Joseph Dougan's military history and being a career soldier.  I also know that he served in France in WW1 where he was gassed.  With that in mind, I guess these notices could refer to him. But I am also aware there were other Joseph Dougans in WW1.

I might have a look at the subscription link you sent me to see if I can find them all and have a closer look.

Thanks again.

David

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 22 July 21 08:33 BST (UK) »
Informant on the 1941 death was a Martha RAINEY.

See reply #23 for latest on this Joseph Dougan  :o