Author Topic: Louis Hermann Karl Heinrich Jungblut  (Read 782 times)

Offline LucyLoo777

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Louis Hermann Karl Heinrich Jungblut
« on: Sunday 18 July 21 12:39 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at the Junglbut surname in the UK and find it fascinating that Louis H K H Jungblut changed his name by deepoll too George Ernest Grahame after WW2.
I would love to find out a little bit more about this person as he is intriguing. There is a listing on ancestory but I am not currently a member. Could anyone give me some more insight please.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Louis Hermann Karl Heinrich Jungblut
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 July 21 13:20 BST (UK) »
He is mistranscribed 1939 as Louisa (occp Ladies Hairdresser)

Marriage to Marjorie WOOD 1942 Lancashire.

Interred Isle of Man 1942;
Name: Louis Karl Henrich Hermann Jungblut
German
Birth Date: 13 Jun 1902
Birth Place: Wulfingen
Internment Date: 12 May 1942
Internment Place: Isle of Man

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 July 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
Many people with German names living in the UK chose to change them during and after WW2, for obvious reasons.

As a German national, he was interned twice as a non-refugee alien (Category A). Index cards for the internment tribunals (National Archives, HO 396) are on Ancestry and FindMyPast, and he has two cards.

My interpretation of these is that he was first interned on 5 October 1939 at Olympia (in West London), home address 97 Northfield Avenue, Ealing. Then sent to Canada, as many internees were, due to lack of space in England – sailed 21 June 1940 on SS ‘Duchess of York’. When he returned to England on SS ‘Andes’ he was refused release and was re-interned, in the Isle of Man, on 12 May 1942. But he was released on 1 June 1942 to serve for the allied forces in the Pioneer Corps (see here -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Pioneer_Corps#Recruitment)
This was presumably when he married.

He also has a personal file at the National Archives in HO 405 – see this link ...

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11122902

It’s closed to public access, but you can submit a request for it to be opened under the Freedom of Information Act (FOI). It is an easy (and free) process. The request may or may not be granted. Sometimes it is granted with parts of the file redacted. The last one I applied for took about 4 months, but that was during lockdown.

Offline LucyLoo777

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 July 21 13:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you, it is certainly an interesting surname to look at. There were another two deedpoll changes with the Jungblut surname and only one female Jungblut seems to have married in the UK in recent years which was in 1997.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 July 21 14:37 BST (UK) »
I’m not sure what you’re trying to find out but, to clarify, nobody changes their name ‘by deed poll’. The deed poll is simply a written record that they have done so, and deed polls only represent a relatively small number of name changes made. Before the modern era, most people could change their names as and when and however they wished to (other than for fraudulent purposes).

Many changes of Germanic names around the WW2 period were simple anglicisations, so if you are searching indexes for this surname you might also want to try ‘Youngblood’?

There’s a useful research guide about name changes here ...
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/changes-of-name/

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 July 21 14:53 BST (UK) »
In London Gazette 17th Oct 1947 re his naturalization ( with a long list of others).
Barry, Louis Charles (formerly Louis Hermann Karl Heinrich Jungblut, Germany, Hairdresser, 49a Middle street, Brighton, Sussex. 16th Sep 1947

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline LucyLoo777

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 July 21 15:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone,

It is such a big history lesson for me about name changes.
I love studying geneology and the whole deed poll thing really fascinates me.

I thought that enemy aliens were forbidden to change their names so the whole Jungblut change made me curious. Thank you for clarifying with the link Bookbox.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 July 21 13:18 BST (UK) »
Marjorie Barrys death is reg 1981 Camden and Louis Charles Barry 1987 Oxford.
(both of their dob match 1939 register)

Interesting query to read and work on :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline LucyLoo777

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 July 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at the Junglbut surname in the UK and find it fascinating that Louis H K H Jungblut changed his name by deepoll too  after WW2.
I would love to find out a little bit more about this person as he is intriguing. There is a listing on ancestory but I am not currently a member. Could anyone give me some more insight please.

I found this as well in the National Archives. Reference:   
HO 334/188/31014
Description:   
Naturalisation Certificate: Louis Charles Barry. From Germany. Resident in Brighton, Sussex. Wife's name Marjorie [Barry or Jungblut]. Home Office Reference: J 6357. Certificate AZ31014 issued 29 August 1947. Note(s): Alias: Louis Hermann Karl Heinrich Jungblut.