Author Topic: Your first 1921 census look up  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Your first 1921 census look up
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 July 21 22:41 BST (UK) »
Got a few but one of the first will be my husband’s great grandfather, one William Williams  ;D

Born somewhere in Caernarvonshire, north west Wales, first seen in Pontypridd (south east Wales) in 1909 when marrying his first wife - father listed as William, deceased, farmer. Married again in 1921 after his first wife died, father left blank this time. Age on marriages, 1911 census, 1939 register and death varies around 4 years, so with the name and vague birthplace, it’s the proverbial needle in a haystack. Hoping the 1921 will help as it’s probably the last chance.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 01:40 BST (UK) »
Saw this thread yesterday and remembered my grandmother's Uncle who I couldn't locate between 1901 and 1939. He's the only member of my family that was still in the UK. When I first started my research I had left him on hold until the 1921 census was due. Thinking about him again now I had a look again and sure enough found him - in Canada of all places. (Not sure why I didn't find him years ago, maybe other new records have come on-line since my original research.) He met his English wife over there and seemed to hop between countries for a few years - he's in Canada during their 1921 census so I wouldn't have found him in the UK.

Of course, now having his wife's maiden name and some family she's not straight forward at all. Another mystery that needs untaggling.  :D

Anyway, thanks for the reminder!

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 23:22 BST (UK) »
Think I’ll be looking to see where my father was in 1921… his early life is a bit of a mystery… his father died when he was 7 years old (1915) and he went into a home of sorts but never been able to establish where exactly…

My maternal grandfather is another one I’d like to find to check up on too and my grandmothers family…

Good hunting everyone and let’s hope our expectations on what we’ll find prove helpful!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 July 21 13:24 BST (UK) »
First will be my dad. He was living with his mother and grandmother, but I want to see if his step brother had joined the family by then. I think he probably had but there’s no other way of knowing.

Second will be Edith, who would have been in her early 20s at the time, having already been bereaved of her oldest child. She’d go on to give birth to, and lose, many more children without ever marrying. I want to see who she was living with in 1921, as a clue to the possible father of her children.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 July 21 13:32 BST (UK) »
reply 10surely 1921 will be free to view if on a site

i like tolook at grandparents toooften interesting if lodgers ate in the house .with our jones smith recomposed family finding another smith or jones was often a step relaive

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 July 21 14:03 BST (UK) »
I think 2 of my great grandmas brothers and one of here nieces. One brother I can't find his death, the other brother out of interest as to when they moved to Somerset and the niece as to confirm her marriage and her name change.

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 July 21 20:28 BST (UK) »

As I understand it initially the 1921 will be charged per view in addition to a regular subscription. FindMyPast did similar with the 1939 register when that was first released before later including it with regular memberships.

Standing by to be corrected.  ;D

Tony.
Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 July 21 17:02 BST (UK) »

As I understand it initially the 1921 will be charged per view in addition to a regular subscription. FindMyPast did similar with the 1939 register when that was first released before later including it with regular memberships.

Standing by to be corrected.  ;D

Tony.

FindMyPast also initially charged for the 1911 census; PPV.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 21:31 BST (UK) »
I want to see what my great grandfather gave as his birthplace. When I was growing up I was told it was Cregneash, Isle of Man but I've never seen any mention of it in records. Maybe he just lived in cottages like the ones preserved at Cregneash. When he was baptised the family were at Bradda near Port Erin and his merchant seaman crew records say Castletown. He was born before civil registration started on the island. 

Blue