Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 25th July 2021  (Read 5105 times)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 25th July 2021
« Reply #36 on: Friday 23 July 21 06:15 BST (UK) »
Concerning for you Caroline re your husband's health, I had intended to follow on from my late post week ending 11th and extend commiserations, congratulations etc and summarise week ending 18th, however I appear to have missed that window with door locked there now, lol .. do understand re confusing timeline though with threads.
It was a fuller schedule with family staying last week and much quieter this. Daughter had a lovely informal reunion with staff from her previous school on the Monday while I did grandma duties, demanding but delightful really. Husband came home feeling a bit under the weather feeling like he had bronchitis, a nasty cough all last week which seems now to be easing a bit come Friday this week.  He had his usual flu jab before Winter started and we've both been double vaccinated with Pfizer jab and thankfully risks of infection remain low but many other seasonal viruses about. Lovely family addition with #2 sis getting a new grandson, her 2nd  , born same date as a 2nd cousin 10th birthday and 20 years after his only cousin who has his birthday next week.
Tuesday husband stayed home, rescheduling arrangements, I went off to a knitting group for a couple of hours and the girls went off to the zoo, meeting up with a childhood friend and her 7yr old twin daughters for the day. The 3x 7yr olds only occasionally see each other being in different cities but have been keen to become penpals and written a few letters back and forth, mother is an optometrist and takes leave to be with twins, all different personalities but fun. A lovely outdoor day and good for the school break, same Wednesday. Essential shopping for me and took miss 7 for a walk to park and playground along the road while little one was meant to be asleep, some 'fomo' going on there though! They had been out for several hours visiting another close friend from way back, close in age and interests, attendants at each others weddings and our daughter is godmother to the teenage daughter and helped a lot in her care early years.Like all good friendships easy to pick up where left off, friend now caring for her aging and widowed mum in the family home of several generations, living across the road now herself and also caring for elderly mother-in-law and sometimes difficult circumstances, while running a small business from home.
I'd pulled out lots of books for daughter to look through and relieve me of, many from her childhood and the little ones already have so many and love them but happy to acquire more. Also have way too many toys and games for them here but we've had the room to hang on to them and are in good condition, again though, they have an abundance at home as well and I will have to pass many of them on elsewhere eventually. Spent much of Thursday playing and sorting and readying for them to go back home in the evening. Took both granddaughters to the park and playground, carrying little one beside the roads and forgetting how heavy they get!... and sending them off after dinner, bathed and ready for bed. We then prepared for a few days away ourselves!
Left 8am Friday morning heading south, several refreshment and photographic stops along the way down the North Island arriving in Palmerston North 5pm. Dinner with some of group before meeting up at venue on the Saturday, a worthwhile event and great catching up with folk, then some exploring, set off for Auckland again Sunday 10.30am varying the route back and home at 9pm, an enjoyable trip.

This week more the usual home front routine, work and essential shopping etc.
The TransTasman travel bubble has paused further today for 8 weeks, with Nzers in Australia advised to get home on available flights. Fiji has continued to be a worry with increasing number of cases and troubling conditions. Our numbers have increased slightly at the border with cases from there testing positive on arrival but mostly the higher numbers being added are mariners off 3 foreign fishing boats having to enter our waters with majority of crew sick and testing positive and our obligation to look after them while they isolate.
Travelling anywhere internationally is obviously going to be a challenge for some time. The friend I spoke of a couple of threads back had to spend the last few days here doing his best on phone and visiting airport to get his return flight to UK sorted with UEA flight restrictions meaning transit would delay him hugely. Thankfully eventually Singapore route worked out OK, expensive changing flights and airlines but will get some money back, flight this Monday a lot  fuller and less restful than expected  and thought perhaps others were happy to be returning to 'Freedom' , him less so! However thrilled to be back with his wife and also other daughter for a few days in London, in time for their wedding anniversary as well … also mentioned the uncomfortable heat.

And for those who love or loath sport !! let the games begin … and they have!

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 23 July 21 06:26 BST (UK) »
! Very long post ! A bit like the phone call with #1 sis yesterday, most of morning and gone noon when we rang off! We can talk! ... often too long gaps between though  :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 23 July 21 07:08 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, it is very interesting to read what you have written about Dunkirk.  I agree, it was not running away at all.  I would more call it strategic withdrawal war decision.  Our troops and those who took part in the rescue mission were very brave and heroic all.
I think there is no point in being slaughtered recklessly and needlessly, just in order to be a dead hero, as many were expected to in the Great War. 
I think they did the right thing at Dunkirk - strategic withdrawal and live to fight on another day.

I still haven't caught up with everything on here as I just finished nightshifts yesterday.  I see I put my last post on the last week's thread by mistake.  Sometimes I don't know if I am coming or going on these threads.

I see in the news this morning that the government are going to release some people from pingdemic self isolation so we can get through the empty shop shelves situation in some areas of the country.  It sounds a better idea that these people will be able to test daily instead.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 23 July 21 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hope you can have a good rest RTL.... I am not surprised you feel exhausted much of the time.
Caroline, it is awful your husband is still so ill; I do hope you are seeing some signs of improvement.
Viktoria, we too watched Cold Comfort Farm.
I confess I never read the book, (seems awful but I think I was just born at the wrong time to catch it,) and I hadn't seen the film version either, but I rather enjoyed it, understanding that it was supposed to be tongue in cheek.
Some superb performances in there, and a good helping of glorious smouldering from Rufus Sewell.
Does the book reveal the Great Wrong which was done to Robert Frost?  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 23 July 21 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind thoughts ladies, I haven't much energy to put my mind to writing a lot but have enjoyed reading all your posts. Mare, it's good to hear about what you've been doing and the situation as a whole in NZ.
Best wishes to your OH Caroline, very much hope he feels better soon.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 23 July 21 09:39 BST (UK) »
MARE.... thanks for  your interesting post.... your friend finding it uncomfortably hot in London will be relieved that Southern England has returned to normal; it is cool and grey here with the threat of prolonged rain later. Conditions likely to remain less than summery for a few weeks according to the forecast.
Hope NZ keeps on top of the Covid cases..... and I wonder if I will ever get the big tour I was looking forward to in 2020.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 23 July 21 10:20 BST (UK) »
Early  hours  of  the  morning  for  the  first  time  in  weeks  I has to climb  under the bedclothes  as  it  was  chilly, when  I  went  shopping at 8am  it  somewhat  cooler, very  welcome  but  since  getting  home  i  think  we  are  in for  the  hot day, I close  my  lounge  curtains  to keep the  room cooler and  I think it works, the sun  shines directly  in  for  the  hottest time.

MH, can  you order a steady  70  degrees for  August  please , do  your  best!!!, my family  would appreciate  that, my brother is in Scotland and it  is  probably  cooler there , perhaps  we  should  be going north not  south

Although  I water my garden I feel  my  poor plants  are suffering, hoping  it  will rain overnight

Enjoy  your days  folks

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 23 July 21 12:09 BST (UK) »
Well, a very sunny day but with a delicious ,cool ,gentle breeze .
A parcel arrived ,some long awaited Yardley’s Lavender ,talc soap and Eau de toilette .
For my friend in Shropshire ,bedridden now and in this weather!
Out of stock for ages.

Off to Bury today, but will drop off at PO to post the parcel on, came from Yardley’s to me,was not possible to get them to post it to my friend.

Noticed my Buddlea was a bit droopy ,so drenched it ,.
A flipping squirrel or something has been nibbling my Bramley apples!

I am sorry to read of those ill and the loved ones who are also ill.
It is a hard time to be ill and a big worry as although services are doing very well, things are not the same.
Sincere good wishes to you all.

I must get going now, the weather is much more comfortable but may not be so tomorrow.
M&S here I come ,plus the fishmarket for proper kippers.
I might even have fish and chips from a really good plaice  ;D ;D ;D,no you know I mean place.Thomson’s a well known chain , very high standard .

Off I go , will look in on you all later.
Cheerio .Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 25 July 21 10:55 BST (UK) »
Simple solution, Mark - make your own desserts and then YOU have the control over content.  Same applies to other courses.  :-X

Yes,I poached three conference pears in sugar free lemonade(Tesco’s nicer  than Morrison’s ) I will either make custard using a sweetener or have
Carnation milk, but read the label on that !
Too much fat stresses the Pancreas too ,where Insulin is made ,so low fat diet as well!
It is very difficult and sweeteners are not always the best answer.
They have “ musical side effects!”, I sound like a great timber built ship going aground on a reef, and the accompanying stomach cramps can be really painful.
 Canderel is what I have used for a good while but I find the humble saccharin  has fewer side effects .
Got some fancy stuff ,but no taste at all.
I must educate myself to dislike sweetness.
A friend was hooked on four teaspoons of sugar in their tea!
I suggested she take a small drink before putting any sugar in then put just one and the difference might fool her taste buds .
Still a full spoon of sugar in quite a few cuppas is still a lot.
 It is easy when telling someone else! ::)
That worked for her ,but not easy to do  that  with desserts
I too was annoyed as I was told after several phone calls my blood test results were “ Normal” ,when I asked specifically re the blood sugar results they had gone up ,to 43, only one but at 42 after the last test was sent leaflets etc about a clinic for pre diabetic people.
Have not been due to Covid etc.
So why is 43 better seemingly than 42?
I need to speak to the Dr.
Best of luck ,I think 37 grams  is the maximum  an adult should not exceed a day ,and as there are often that much in desserts !
A Victoria sponge has four ounces of sugar standard recipe.
Four ounces is 110 grams ,so approx 28  to an ounce.
Cut such a cake into eight pieces and there are 14 gms in a piece ,nearly half the daily allowance for someone without raised sugar levels.
The flour can also be converted .
Let us know how you go on , and do try the pears ,just like the nice tinned ones we used to get for Sunday tea when there were enough points in our ration books!
Viktoria.