Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 25th July 2021  (Read 5118 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 25th July 2021
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
Glad to read the good news from you all .

A very heavy cloudburst this early evening ,and I had just watered mine and my neighbour’s container plants .
Another real scorcher today, I was fit for nothing really ,but cooler now it has rained.

How horrible the rain in China and people trapped on  the underground  .
More drownings here too , what a shame.

Well Liverpool has lost its World Heritage status ,redevelopment is the cause but no one has actually visited it seems .
Peel Holdings wanted to build but the new building would have obscured The Three Graces .
John Whittaker of P.H .is a Ramsbottom man.
He is totally detested in the town.
He managed to buy up the Ground  Rents of Ramsbottom properties,they are very long - 999 years , most building done in 1800’s so his heirs have a long wait .
They are very low too, my old house was £5-00 per year.
He has bought them but does not seem to colllect them ,I suppose he has worked all that out .
I opened a little bank account and each year that they were no longer collected I paid the amount in because bet your life there will be penalties for non payment .
When I left the house I left the correct amount due in cash for the new owners.Each year in a separate envelope dated .

Well, cooler now so some sleep tonight hopefully .
Weather forecast says in this NW area heatwave to continue   to weekend when more heavy rain and some flooding. 

Cheerio. Hope those unwell improve very quickly and those with worries get some peace of mind .
I see no end to this yet, and cannot agree with easing  whilst numbers are still rising and many unvaccinated still.
Take care everyone.Viktoria.

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 22 July 21 09:03 BST (UK) »
Interesting post as always Viktoria. Thank you.
Hope you had a good night, and that your day is as pleasing as can be.

I shall enjoy the good weather while it lasts, and continue to keep out of the way as far as possible.
My trusty face covering is attached to my bag, and I wear it if I can't avoid areas full of holiday makers.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 22 July 21 11:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear that Mark, I must not get complacent re my blood sugar levels at 43, last time 42.
I wonder if the thirst is to do with your blood sugar levels, it is a frequent pointer to raised levels.
Chatted to a passerby yesterday, she had open toed sandals on and said her dog had trodden on her toes but that she could not wear proper shoes as she frequently gets inflamed toes  and fingers round her nails
.Had been told it was pre  diabetes.
The trouble is we can convert carbohydrates to sugars so bread,potatoes,pasta, etc can be almost as bad as sweet things .
I only weigh eight and a half stones at most , but pre heart attack in 2009 I was nearly ten stones which on my five foot two height was too much!

I read the small print on everything ,and it is apalling how much sugar is in supposedly “ Healthy “ bars and snacks .
Even a slice of tea loaf has a lot of sugar.

People say”  have honey” ,but it is not the answer and fructose in fruit can be converted .
Hope you feel better ,Oh - and would it mean one vaccination would trigger our immune system which would be better than repeated boosters. ?
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 22 July 21 17:11 BST (UK) »
I see our NHS are saying about sugar ...

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/how-does-sugar-in-our-diet-affect-our-health/#:~:text=Adults%20should%20have%20no%20more,day%20(5%20sugar%20cubes).

[The GP in January said Sugar consumption is responsible for other serious health troubles besides gaining weight and tooth decay. Some Scientists are also pointing at glucose very recently in relation to influenza complications]

I picked up a pack of two mini Cheesecakes about 2" in diameter each and turned it over to see a massive 20 grams of sugar and clearly stated in bold!

I still need to eat enough daily food in my three main meals, but 20 grams of sugar on something small, nice and very sweet - seemingly throws away 2/3rds of my daily meals sugar allowance and would also create an unwanted spike in my blood.

Keep safe all, Mark

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 22 July 21 17:30 BST (UK) »
Simple solution, Mark - make your own desserts and then YOU have the control over content.  Same applies to other courses.  :-X

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 22 July 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
Simple solution, Mark - make your own desserts and then YOU have the control over content.  Same applies to other courses.  :-X

Hi Bumblebee

My wife has purchased me two bars of Dark Chocolate, No Added Sugar and Two squares are less than 0.5g of which sugars.

Fortunately, I can leave it on the shelf in the spare bedroom and forget it is there.

Just had a one square fix and put it back  :)  ;) Because of my health, I can walk past the stuff now in the shop and make one (gift) bar last a month.

Making progress with my wider Family Tree circa 1800.

Take care, Mark  ;)   :)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 22 July 21 17:51 BST (UK) »
Good to hear it - stay safe!
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 22 July 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
Just watched Cold Comfort Farm ,missed the first ten minutes or so .
Did not see Agony Beetle and the Jazz Band .
It was written as a sort of antidote to the books written by Mary Webb, they were a bit mawkish and often written from the point of view if a woman with very strong emotions but who sadly was not very attractive.
Mary Webb’s themes were very like those of Thomas Hardy, especially his Tess of The  D’Urbevilles and her Gone To Earth.
G to E was written about the part of Shropshire where I grew up.
The Baptist Chapel where my paternal Great grandparents worshipped and were buried in the graveyard., they were used in the film as they were in the book.
The Stiperstones hills and a rocky outcrop called The Devil’s Chair,
A film was shot on the real location andI had gone back on holiday so met the stars Jennifer Jones, David Farrar( Ooooo! Sharp intake of breath )€Cyril Cusack ,George Cole,Dane Sibyl Thorndyke.

Mary Webb was a bit mawkish but she had a good insight into human nature and in her character Squire Jack Reddin ( another intake of breath)  she really
summed up his failings “and he never knew what he had done “—-.
I did enjoy the book Cold Comfort Farm ,years ago but not so well the film today.

Well some rumbles of thunder this evening ,I still watered the containers though ,so hot again today .
I have done very little today, just felt no energy so thought go with  the  feeling and keep cool but I did get washing out early ,big bath towels were totally dry in minutes .
Changed my bed so a bath tonight or my mother will haunt me!
Bedding washed too .

Just watching “ Dunkirk” ,it is a miracle anyone got away ,what a feat,all the little ships.
Wonder if The Medway Queen ,the last remaining “ little ship “is still in existence?

We went to Dunkirk  one holiday and my husband wanted to see a particular
memorial ,so we enquired at the Tourist office  and to get a town map .
The quite young girl at the counter  did not understand what we wanted ,especially about the memorial, eventually she said “Oh you mean when you ran away!!!!!————I nearly jumped over the counter to get her by the throat !
So she got all guns!
“ We came back though didn’t we!,
“DIDN’T WE!”
She half agreed ,but gave us a town map .
I wrote to the  Bureau de Tourism  and complained about her attitude ,and that she was not suitable to be employed in an area where so many British lives had been lost .

Well dustbin day is here again tomorrow , the weeks go by so quickly  really.
Was going to Bury today but felt it was unwise  given the extreme heat.

Hope everyone is alright , especially Roobarb, and those we know are ill .
Cheerio everyone .
Viktoria.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 22 July 21 23:20 BST (UK) »
My word Cold Comfort Farm is a blast from the past…. I can’t remember how many years ago I read it…. Very good critic there Viktoria…. Spot on.. sometimes when you’ve read a book then seen the film the latter can be very disappointing. I do wish they wouldn’t muck about with them…

Dunkirk was a very good film however… I’m not surprised you made a complaint to the tourist board… what a cheek!
With a typical French attitude when we visited Versailles one Sunday the queue was a long snake taking an age to get in once we reached the ticket booth ( 6 of us) there was only ONE booth open and we got the usual shrug of the shoulders from the chap inside… with the comment ‘this is France’…. Ah well it was worth the wait as it was the Sunday when the fountains perform to the classical music being played…

Hot here today 24C at 9.30 am…. I was pleased to see that everyone in Lidl’s was wearing a face covering with the exception being men!

Cut all broad bean plants down this afternoon, had a wonderful crop this year… along with beetroot and spring onions… OH usually in charge of veg garden but with him being unwell… still… it’s down to me… too hot really but needs must..

Keep cool everyone and do stay safe…hoping Roobarb is feeling better soon..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK