Author Topic: Robert Chettleburgh 1747 baptism dilemma - please help!!  (Read 741 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Robert Chettleburgh 1747 baptism dilemma - please help!!
« on: Monday 19 July 21 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma that may end up with me deleting a LOT of people from my family tree.

Robert Chettleburgh (or Chittleburgh) is my 7th great grandfather. He married Elizabeth Webb in 1768 Hempnall. As far as I can see, they had three children, Robert 1769, Mary 1770 and John 1773. I can't find definite records on Elizabeth Webb.

I have his baptism as 20 April 1747 in Hempnall. Now I researched this quite a few years ago and thought it was the correct record. Now that I look back, I'm doubting myself. On FreeReg the baptism is transcribed without a first name and without father's name, but mother's name is transcribed as Judith. I later found out that a Robert Chittleburgh married a Judith Spalding in 1742 Topcroft.

There is no mention of a Judith elsewhere in my family tree, no children were named after her, nor after their other children including a Benjamin and Deborah. I've never come across these names before and that's why I think I've gone wrong somewhere. I know that not everyone named their children after parents/siblings but it was common practice.

I find it odd that Robert, who might have been their first surviving son, doesn't name his children after his parents or at least his siblings, but this of course may be because wife may have died young as I can only find three children; Robert died in 1819 Topcroft.

The other thing that is confusing me is that Robert's baptism in 1747 has the abode as Hempnall, whereas all the other Robert and Judith children baptisms are in Topcroft. Robert is the only one out of his 'siblings' to marry in Hempnall.

Sorry if this is a bit confusing but if anyone could prove or disprove that this is the right baptism it would be very appreciated.

Bethany

Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Chettleburgh 1747 baptism dilemma - please help!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 July 21 12:15 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism in Tasbrugh 27 Sep 1747 Robert son of Robert & Eliz

And looks like a sister Mary 07 Jul 1751. Same place and parents

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 July 21 12:24 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism in Tasbrugh 27 Sep 1747 Robert son of Robert & Eliz

And looks like a sister Mary 07 Jul 1751. Same place and parents

However that Robert was buried same day.

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 July 21 20:24 BST (UK) »
I saw that one too, thanks for the burial as well, we can rule that one out
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 July 21 20:27 BST (UK) »
Have you got a baptism for the one who died in 1823?

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 July 21 20:56 BST (UK) »
Have you got a baptism for the one who died in 1823?

This one is a burial at Roydon, age 73, so born c. 1750. Haven't found a suitable baptism yet. I'm thinking this isn't one of my ancestors since there isn't a connection to Roydon at all in my family tree, but there could be a possibility.

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 July 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Robert to Elizabeth Webb in 1768 Hempnall was witnessed by a Richard Spalding, so it's possible that he could be a relation of Robert's supposed mother Judith

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 April 24 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hoping to revive this thread - still stuck on this

I've attached the baptism record of child of ? and Judith Chettleburg in Hempnall register. Can just about make out 'son of __ and Judith' but no idea of the name of father (hopefully Robert) and most importantly name of the child. The entry is second from bottom.

Hoping someone can alter the image somewhat to make it a little bit clearer to read?

Thanks in advance for any help
Bethany