Author Topic: St Mary's Church, Leeds?  (Read 681 times)

Offline Vi5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St Mary's Church, Leeds?
« on: Monday 19 July 21 14:46 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know definitively if the burials recorded in the registers of the Parish Church of St Peter's that note 'burial in St Marys churchyard' are referring to the churchyard at St Mary's, Quarry Hill?

The church of St Mary's appears to commence with parish records from 1826 (TNA - Kew catalogue, St Mary the Virgin Parish, Leeds Quarry Hill, 1826-1977 ) and WYAS RDP68 1826-1977.

Vi

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's Church, Leeds?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 July 21 14:58 BST (UK) »
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 July 21 15:39 BST (UK) »
As far as I can tell, that's the case. For some events at some dates there do appear to be registers for St Mary's, but I think the entries are also duplicated in the St Peter's ones.

I have an ancestor who died in 1835 and his burial is recorded in the St Peter's (the ancient parish church) registers as being at St Mary's. On the Yorkshire Burials website there are two entries for him - one at St Peter's and one at St Mary's (which they call St Mary's, Mabgate). That was a new discovery for me today, but I haven't worked out whether that means I need to look for another register entry, or whether the St Mary's entries have been extracted from the St Peter's dataset and merely presented as if they come from a separate register.

However, Yorkshire Burials also have a transcript of a memorial to him at St Mary's (also new to me   :) ), which I think is fairly conclusive. You can be a bit unsure what words in a register refer to, but it's a lot harder to make a mistake about which churchyard you're recording MIs in.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vi5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.

Update having contacted Leeds Libraries and Mike at YB:

The church of St Mary's (Quarry Hill) and St Mary's (Mabgate) are one and the same.

The burial entries for St Mary were recorded in the register for St Peter's Parish Church, Leeds and separated by YB to help researchers; they were not transcribed from an individual register.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know, and for the info from Yorkshire Burials - saves me asking them myself  ;D
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline holway

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 23 18:19 BST (UK) »
St Marys Church has been demolished
But its part of the parish of Leeds Parish Church, now Leeds Minster  I believe some people still meet somewhere to keep that church community alive
Quarry hill was an area of slums till the 1930's when the huge Bauhaus Quarry Hill Flats were built. They have gone now and the site is occupied by a large department of work and pensions offices, a BBC building and a theatre.