Author Topic: Daines Marriage in Suffolk (Archdeaconry of Sudbury?)  (Read 1194 times)

Offline jdaines89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daines Marriage in Suffolk (Archdeaconry of Sudbury?)
« on: Monday 19 July 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
HI

I am looking for a marriage for John and Susan Daines. I have found baptisms for 4 children of theirs, all born in close proximity to one another. First I found John Daines who was christened 27 Oct 1732 somewhere in the Archdeaconry of Sudbury. Then Thomas Daines who was christened 15 Aug 1733 in Gislingham. Simeon Daines was christened 8 Oct 1736 I also think in Gislingham. Lastly, I found Mary Daines who was christened 5 Sep 1744 in Bacton, Suffolk.

So the marriage would come before 1732, and I'm assuming it would be in this area..

Anyone who is able to help, I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Daines Marriage in Suffolk (Sudbury?)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 00:17 BST (UK) »
I don't think a journey would have been considered close by in the early 18th century.
Sudbury some distance from Gislingham 34 miles, although Bacton in Suffolk not too far from Gislingham 4 miles.

SM
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline jdaines89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Daines Marriage in Suffolk (Sudbury?)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am referring to the Archdeaconry of Sudbury, which included the Hartismere Deanery which included towns such as Bacton, Cotton and Gislingham.

I have modified the post to avoid confusion.

But thank you for your reply.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daines Marriage in Suffolk (Archdeaconry of Sudbury?)
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 01:21 BST (UK) »
Another possible child: Susannah Dain, bp.6/4/1739 Lakenheath, Suffolk, dau. John and Susan.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 11:49 BST (UK) »
Transcripts of pre-1754 marriages in Hartismere Deanery will eventually be indexed and published by the Suffolk Family History Society.

Meanwhile, it could be worth downloading the will of John DAINES of Bacton (Archdeaconry of Sudbury, 1764) from Suffolk Archives. The thumbnail image is naturally indistinct but the executors appointed appear to include his wife and her brother Robert, whose surname may be on the back if there is a probate note.

David

Offline jdaines89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi David, that sounds like a great idea. I am unable to download the will because it says my membership has not been verified by their staff, I made an account about a week ago. Would it be possible for you to download it and send it to me? That is, only if it is free of course :)

Offline jdaines89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 16:27 BST (UK) »
I changed my browser and it seems as if it was just a problem with Firefox. But it doesn't seem like the document is available online and I don't think I can place an order without physically going to the archives in order to verify my account

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 17:11 BST (UK) »
Modified to apologise for my overheated self  ::) Of course you're looking for Susan not Sarah.  I have not found any John Daines & Susan / Susannah marriages in Suffolk.  I'll leave these however, if only for elimination purposes.

Two sources, Boyd’s marriage index & England marriages 1538 - 1973 both give the same information.  It is the only record for a John Daines with wife Sarah in your time frame.

1730 June 1st - John Danes and Sarah Daines, Hadleigh, Suffolk
1730 June 1st – John Deynes and Sarah Deynes, Holton St Mary

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 18:00 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the Suffolk Record Office imposes tight copyright restrictions, and there would be a fee of £6 to download the will, if I remember correctly.

A week's delay seems odd for online access, especially now that the Bury St Edmunds branch is no longer closed by COVID-19. I'd recommend e-mailing bury.archives@suffolk.gov.uk if the "Verifying your account" webpage is not only misleading but also inaccurate ("If you are using the website to search catalogues, order copies or download digital images you don’t need to verify your account").

There is another page on "How to download digital images" and parts of my message #393 to the Suffolk io Group may help too.

Optimism is essential for genealogists but probate was often granted solely to the main executor, so there may well be no further mention of Robert, particularly if he acted in a supervisory capacity, assisting John's widow or son.

Best of luck, anyway

David