Author Topic: Looking for the Graveyard where William John James Duncan was buried.  (Read 595 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William John James Duncan died on August 28, 1925, in Motherwell, Dalziel, Lanarkshire, Scotland, when he was 57 years old.
(Death Certificate) from Scotlandspeople
Death was at County Hospital, Motherwell Road. William Duncan, blacksmith, married to Mary Ann Sharpe; mother Rebecca Worlan, deceased; father William Duncan, labourer; Sam Russell, Nephew was present at death.  His address was 23 Coronation Road, New Stevenston. 

The Epitaph on the grave.
"In Loving Memory of William Duncan.  Died 28 August 1925.  Age 57  A Token of Respect".  I have a photo of the grave but do not know what graveyard William would have been buried in. 

I have put a memorial for William on Findagrave website. 

Does anyone know the name of the most likely graveyard in which William would have been buried. Thankyou  in advance.

Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Graveyard where William John James Duncan was buried.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 01:39 BST (UK) »
Doesn’t Find a Grave show burial at Dalziel Parish Church Cemetary?

www.rootschat.com/links/01qrz/

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks that is a memorial I added to the site as I thought it to be a likely graveyard, but I do not know that area.  Thanks for looking
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

It is a bit misleading to show it to be his actual burial place.   Not familiar with memorials on Find a Grave myself but is it possible to show it as “thought to be” or “possibly in”.  Just thinking of other researchers
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 13:45 BST (UK) »
There's a newspaper obituary, with a report of the funeral, in the Bellshill Speaker of 4 Sep 1925 - image at FindMyPast and (probably) the British Newspaper Archive.

It mentions New Stevenston (was there a church there?), and the participation of the minister of Carfin Parish Church - maybe some clues there? The article has more about William Duncan and groups that he was involved with.

Other avenues to explore: did he leave a will specifying where he was to be buried? Or did his widow (eg "with my husband in xxxxx")?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you ever so much everyone.  I looked up the British Newspaper Archives and found that William's wife was buried at Holytown Cemetery in 1938 and so it is likely that William would also have been buried at the same cemetery.  There are 3 cemeteries at Holytown; Hollytown Crematorium, Holytown Cemetery and Holytown Churchyard Cemetery. I   emailed North Lanarkshire Council who are responsible for the cemeteries as they may have  a record of who is buried at the cemetery.  Thank you Again  Angela

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 22:30 BST (UK) »
Holytown Cemetery is an extension of the Churchyard Cemetery. It is not on the 1898 map, but is on the 1912 map.
The Churchyard Cenetery is on the 1859 map.
I have been in the Churchyard and the Cemetery looking for gravestones quite a few times.
Holytown Crematorium opened in 2004.

Steven

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 July 21 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the information.  I take it then the earlier graves are in the Churchyard Cemetery and the later ones would be in the extension i.e Holytown Cemetery.  Thanks Again Angela