Author Topic: Peter Kerr of Ratho, Midlothian, Scotland  (Read 788 times)

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Peter Kerr of Ratho, Midlothian, Scotland
« on: Tuesday 20 July 21 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I'm hoping someone could help me.

Peter Kerr was born around 1818 in Ratho, Midlothian, Scotland. (This information is from both the 1851 census & his daughter's birth certificate.

in 1841 he is residing out of county in Old Monkland, Lanark.  working is an ag lab. Surname is given as Keir and age is given as 25

When he married Margaret Brown of Kirkintilloch in 1845, his residing in Govan, Glasgow. This where the marriage took place.

On the 1851 census he is residing with his wife Margaret and 3 children, Hugh (5), James (3) & Peter (1).
His age is given as 30 occupation Cowfeeder & Farmer.

The family moved to Australia in 1852 and this is where their daughter Mary Jane was born in 1854.
Young Peter from the census died and another Peter was born to the family in 1852 before the family moved.
I have looked at Scotlandspeople but cannot find a Peter born within the time period in Ratho.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on where else to look.

Cheers

Genni

All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Kerr of Ratho, Midlothian, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 06:28 BST (UK) »

You have located a death in Scotland for this child?
"..Young Peter from the census died"

Where are you seeing evidence of this second Peter?
"..another Peter was born to the family in 1852 before the family moved."

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Anc… that has Peters parent’s as Hugh Kerr and Margaret Lochead. I don’t know where that information comes from. It would be worth your while looking at Australian BMD records or newspaper accounts for something that confirms those names and relationship. Then again it may just be wrong information.
You will find a marriage for that couple on Scotlands People in 1817, in Abbey. There are birth records for 8 of their children in Abbey and Paisley. The first born is Peter Kerr 21 May 1818.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 16:08 BST (UK) »

You have located a death in Scotland for this child?
"..Young Peter from the census died"

Where are you seeing evidence of this second Peter?
"..another Peter was born to the family in 1852 before the family moved."
Hi Wivenhoe

No, I haven’t located the death for this Peter.
I have the christening record for him in 1849.

Peter born 1852, I have this christening record too.

Both Peter’s are listed on Peter snr’s death certificate.

Cheers
Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Areas:

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Anc… that has Peters parent’s as Hugh Kerr and Margaret Lochead. I don’t know where that information comes from. It would be worth your while looking at Australian BMD records or newspaper accounts for something that confirms those names and relationship. Then again it may just be wrong information.
You will find a marriage for that couple on Scotlands People in 1817, in Abbey. There are birth records for 8 of their children in Abbey and Paisley. The first born is Peter Kerr 21 May 1818.

Hi Neale1961

My cousin and I have ruled Hugh Kerr & Margaret Lochead out.
Their son Peter was a thread manufacturer and married Margaret Campbell Clark, and appears on the census in 1841, 1851 & 1861 in Renfrew.

Unfortunately, Peter Kerr’s death certificate lists his parents as unknown.

The only other information I have is from Hugh’s birth entry. The spelling of the surname was Carr.
Witnesses were Robert Brown (I believe this is Margaret’s brother) & Andrew Carr (I don’t know what connection to Peter he is)

Regards

Genni

Surnames:
Areas:

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Genni
You have done well to research the Hugh Kerr - Marg Lochead birth and marriage and eliminated him / them.

You may know that there are a couple of other births that you should probably research for elimination or not.
They are both in Leith South (not Ratho, but fairly close)

KEIR   PETER          PETER KEIR/MARGARET DAVIDSON FR2709 (FR2709)   M   
21/08/1817   692/2    80 449   Leith South

KEIR   PETER          PETER KEIR/MARGARET SMITH FR2735 (FR2735)   M   
24/11/1818   692/2    80 498   Leith South

It is quite possible that there is no birth record to be found for your ancestor. It may be one of the many records that never existed or was lost.
The fact that there is no parents named on his death certificate might be an indication that he was illegitimate. If this is the case, it might be that Kerr was Peter’s mother’s surname.

My only other suggestion would be to look in the Ratho kirk sessions around the time you are interested in, to see if there is any mention of the Kerr/ Keir name. The session minutes can be very useful in picking up illegitimate births. These are on Scotlands People here ....
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/virtual-volumes/record-creator-search/sessions-volumes?rex_uid=REX00327&related_places=GAZ00936&placename=Ratho
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 08:39 BST (UK) »

You may know that there are a couple of other births that you should probably research for elimination or not.
They are both in Leith South (not Ratho, but fairly close)

KEIR   PETER          PETER KEIR/MARGARET DAVIDSON FR2709 (FR2709)   M   
21/08/1817   692/2    80 449   Leith South

KEIR   PETER          PETER KEIR/MARGARET SMITH FR2735 (FR2735)   M   
24/11/1818   692/2    80 498   Leith South

I have research these two. 

Peter Keir/Margaret Davidson have been hard to track.
Their son James married Jean Allardice in 1837 - he was residing at Quarry holes - father Peter was deceased by then.  Unable to located them in 1841.
Their daughter Isabella married Alex Campbell in 1837. She was residing in Drummond Court Elbe Street, Leith. Her father is given as the late Peter Keir, Gardener in Restalrig?, Unable to locate them in 1841.
Peter and Margaret had other children too, but I can't find any of them in 1841.

Peter Keir/Margaret Smith.  Peter snr was a sailor and supposedly died at sea. Their last child Christina Thompson Keir was born in in Aberdeen in 1837. Although Peter jnr is not with them on the 1841 census, I don't believe he's my Peter, I thought he was more likely to be a mariner like his father. I'm still researching though.

My only other suggestion would be to look in the Ratho kirk sessions around the time you are interested in, to see if there is any mention of the Kerr/ Keir name. The session minutes can be very useful in picking up illegitimate births. These are on Scotlands People here ....
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/virtual-volumes/record-creator-search/sessions-volumes?rex_uid=REX00327&related_places=GAZ00936&placename=Ratho

Thanks for this information, I'll check it out.

Regards

Genni

Surnames:
Areas: