Author Topic: Locating an old friends grave  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Loobie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Locating an old friends grave
« on: Tuesday 20 July 21 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to locate the final resting place of my friend Karen Elizabeth Lowe. Karen was born in 1965 but sadly died in Liverpool in 1889. I attended her funeral which was held at Ripon Cathedral but it was a private burial afterwards, which is why I don't know where she is buried. I have looked on Find A Grave etc but cannot find her and now am wondering if she was cremated. I am visiting Ripon late September and would like to visit wherever she is. Can anyone advise me of how I could find answers.
Thanks

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Locating an old friends grave
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 19:42 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Loobie  :D

Was there some reason for her funeral to be at Ripon as opposed to Liverpool?  The fastest route by car from Liverpool to Ripon is about 2 hours.

Have you tried checking newspapers for that period of time to see if there was any death notice which included burial details?

I assume that you have not kept in contact with anyone who may know where she is buried?

You could try contacting Ripon Cathedral to see if they can help or know where you can find the information.

https://www.riponcathedral.org.uk/contact/

1989 was over 30 years ago so I don't know if they hold funeral service records that far back.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 20:07 BST (UK) »
Was she from Ripon and happened to die while visiting Liverpool? Or was she from Liverpool (or elsewhere) but had connections to Ripon?

Possible reasons for being in Ripon include: Ripon Grammar School (state school with boarding houses); the former College of Ripon and York St John (teacher training); Claro Barracks (army).
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 20:11 BST (UK) »
She appears to have been born in Yorkshire as per birth reg.

She had a sister born in 1969  - do you know her whereabouts now?  Could she help with your query?

Ripon is N Yorks but Karen was b E Yorks so am puzzled why Ripon & why the Cathedral
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 22:17 BST (UK) »
Was she from Ripon and happened to die while visiting Liverpool?

Liverpool Echo, 7 June 1989
LOWE KAREN ELIZABETH. May 31, 1989. (Sadly missed, but always remembered.) From all your colleagues and friends at work....

From free ocr text

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 07:45 BST (UK) »
Liverpool Echo 15 June 1989 - only mentions Canon R McFaddon, choirboys of Ripon Cathedral & Hessle bellringers - could it be Hessle  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Loobie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 11:20 BST (UK) »
Karen was living and sharing a house with me in Liverpool but her family lived in Ripon, they lived in/behind the Old Courthouse opposite the Cathedral. Unfortunately I am not in contact with any of her family or anyone that may know what happened after the funeral. Karen had studied Law in Chester and was doing her 'Articles' at a solicitors in Penny Lane Liverpool and was hoping to practice with The CPS.
Rosie mentioned the choirboys who have stayed in my memory all these years, one of them sang 'You Will Never Walk Alone' this was in tribute to her connections in Liverpool and her football club.
I have tried to locate her sister but have had no success yet.
Anyway, I will try all your suggestions and fingers crossed I will find what I am looking for.
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 16:42 BST (UK) »
It seems that Karen had a brother as well as a sister.  Have you tried looking for him?

Or perhaps he is a cousin?  His birth registration district is not the same as the two girls.  Born in between the two girls.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Loobie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 17:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I do remember there being a brother now. I am trying to locate her sister speak but keep hitting a brick wall. I have emailed Harrogate Central Library to see if they can help me, so fingers crossed I get a reply. Thanks for your help, unfortunately my memory isn't what it used to be!