Author Topic: Name of house  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Name of house
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 14:48 BST (UK) »
I agree Wiggy - the word does have more than 3 letters. The family always referred to it as 'the cottage' but having found the photo I had been hoping to prove that the family name was just an abbreviation which would then help me to locate if the building is still there.

I think what happened is when it was purchased in the late 40's its name was as it is on the plaque. Later documents ( 1953 & 1957) posted here by Carol show that by that time it was indeed just The Cottage.

I cant help thinking how difficult it must have been for postmen to find houses with such brief addresses !

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 15:22 BST (UK) »

I cant help thinking how difficult it must have been for postmen to find houses with such brief addresses !

My husband used to be a delivery driver  It is indeed a nightmare when houses just have names and no street number.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 July 21 17:27 BST (UK) »
I thought by inverting the image and dodging the now lighter background it may help. Using my specs as a magnifying glass it looks like an apostrophe S at the end and I thought I made out "Briar's"

But then I ended up squinting so much it hurt  :)

Cliff
South Shields, London - Stobbs, Winfield
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley
Oxfordshire - Kinch, Gomm, Probbitts

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 July 21 18:25 BST (UK) »
That is a clever thing to do Cliff - the inversion of colour does make details stand out. I will look back at the 1939 later to see if I can find that name.

Odd to that there now appear to be some shapes ( 3 letters? )  actually on the rendered part between the upstairs and downstairs windows. I know they cant be letters though in that position.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 July 21 19:15 BST (UK) »
Could it be Bawn Cottage?

Searching Old Maps https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/  for postcode CM6 3QQ -Holder’s  Green shows ‘Bawn Cottage’ in 1921 and in 1954 it seems to be the one marked ‘The Cottage’.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/563566/228541/12/100954
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 July 21 19:53 BST (UK) »
I was just about to post the same as heywood.  It's called Bawn cottage in 1939 and 20's electoral registers.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 July 21 20:06 BST (UK) »
Sarah Ann Bawn of Bawn’s Cottages, Holders Green, Lindsell-by-Stebbing died December 1929. probate granted 1930 to Elizabeth Bawn and others.

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 July 21 20:26 BST (UK) »
That is indeed it! We've just been comparing the old maps showing Bawn Cottage (thank you - thank you Heywood!) which has jogged memories of walks taken in the 50's and googling the route today and can see the changes. Part of the house has been demolished and building work is in progress - so not as it was, but it does feel good to 'find it'.

The family have always referred to being in Lindsell (which was my original stumbling block).

Also the info about the owner giving the clue to the name - well it just answers the questions which pop into my head.

It is a house that has happy memories. Originally, the family I knew who lived there moved out of bomb damaged London in the late 40's to a country life in a pretty part of Essex, raising chickens and with an orchard on the side. Different generations of the family visited over the next 10 years and it became a place which has left a fond feeling for many. Great find everyone. Thankyou!   

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 July 21 20:28 BST (UK) »
I am so glad  :)
Enjoy the memories.