Author Topic: Can someone see if Ambrose was in the newspapers pls?  (Read 508 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can someone see if Ambrose was in the newspapers pls?
« on: Tuesday 20 July 21 21:29 BST (UK) »
Family lore says GF made his fortune setting up one of the first fish and chip shops, and then lost it all gambling and ended up living above a pub. This story is likely to have been warped over time! I wondered how much of it was true and wondered if anyone can find anything on newspapers.com or similar as I do not have a subscription at present.

AMBROSE FIRBY JOHNSON, b. 06 APR 1886 in MIDDLESBROUGH, YORK, UK, d. 1947 in CLEVELAND, UK.

1909 MARRIAGE to Mabel SETH/HOLT in MIDDLESBROUGH.
1911 AGE 24y Lived in SKELTON. IRONSTONE MINER
1925 - went to India where he managed a steel works. Returned to UK to 1928.
1933 - resided in Carshalton, Surrey
1939 Reg. - Carshalton, Surrey, fishmonger. This is surely a big clue to when his changed profession of successful fish and chip shop owner occured.
1947 DIED AGE 61y

One of my distant relatives found years ago that Ambrose died AFTER his wife but when she died in 1940, she was living with their son Kenneth in Surrey - without him, apparently. Could have been due to WW2, or is it part of the 'blew-his-fortune' saga?

Thank you for any help!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone see if Ambrose was in the newspapers pls?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 22:28 BST (UK) »
Have you downloaded a copy of his will?  Probate was granted to James Frederick Johnson - civil airline pilot.  Effects £733

EDIT

I doubt he set up one of the first fish & chip shops

Google search

By 1910 there were over 25,000 fish & chip shops in the UK & 35,000 by the 1930's  Harry Ramsden set up his in 1928.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 22:32 BST (UK) »
Have you downloaded a copy of his will?  Probate was granted to James Frederick Johnson - civil airline pilot.  Effects £733

Not yet, but that makes sense, that’s his eldest son (now deceased himself). Thank you, I’ll look for the Will as it may give some clues. Can you remind me where I should look as I have forgotten!  :-[

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
Have just edited my reply above.  Web site for will is https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 22:47 BST (UK) »
Have just edited my reply above.  Web site for will is https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Thanks for your help. I’ll check his Will. I see your point about the “first” fish and chips shop. I wonder what the actual truth is?! 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 23:18 BST (UK) »
Can you make out what follows "fishmonger" on the 1939 entry?

Mabel died less than a year after the 1939 entry.  How did your relative know she was living with Kenneth when she died?  Is Kenneth on the 1939 register in Surrey?    His address would be onnher death cert

Just wondering if this is one of those "myths" that build up in family history.  It's possible he went to pieces after her death & took to gambling - who knows?

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 23:22 BST (UK) »
A quick internet search puts a man by the name of Ambrose Firby Johnson as keeper of the Cross Roads Public House, Wainstall, Halifax in 1928 and 1929

http://www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/p200_c.html#652

Added.  I think its Mast(er) after fishmonger, CaroleW

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 23:37 BST (UK) »
A quick internet search puts a man by the name of Ambrose Firby Johnson as keeper of the Cross Roads Public House, Wainstall, Halifax in 1928 and 1929

http://www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/p200_c.html#652

Added.  I think its Mast(er) after fishmonger, CaroleW

Thank you, I had found that record and another which relates to it. It looks like he came back from India, then was the landlord of a pub but by the early 30s he’s moved south and is a (master) fishmonger. Would love to find something that confirms the fish and chips rumour.