Author Topic: Looking for James Wild's parents  (Read 738 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for James Wild's parents
« on: Wednesday 21 July 21 14:39 BST (UK) »
In 1851 James Wild was living in Willesden with wife, Ann (nee Martin) their infant daughter Ann and Mary Martin visitor. James says he was born in East Shefford Berks and his stated age gives a birth year of 1827/8.
James and Ann were married in Paddington on 20 Jan 1850, both single, both of full age, his residence is Harrow Road, hers is Church Place. He says his father is Robert Wild - labourer. witnesses H Finch and S A Clark. By 1861, Ann is a widow, with three other children (no sign of Ann jnr). The youngest is 3. I think the burial in Hendon of a James Wild age 30 on 31 March 1858 is him.

Can anyone find a James Wild son of Robert baptised around 1827 in or close to East Shefford. The only Robert Wild / Wyld(e) I can find was born abt 1771, married 1800 in Welford to Elizabeth Vince, living in East Shefford in 1841, but he seems much too old.
Another Robert b abt 1808 in Beedon is in Chievely with wife Sophia and family. She was Sophia nee Hibbert, whom he married in 1830.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for James Wild's parents
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 15:05 BST (UK) »
Bit of a mixed up tree on Ancestry - have you seen it?

Has his father as Thomas & his mother Jacob Sarah?? He died in 1858 but they have it as 1859??
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
Bit of a mixed up tree on Ancestry - have you seen it?

Has his father as Thomas & his mother Jacob Sarah?? He died in 1858 but they have it as 1859??

Yes I've seen it and its multitude of clones  ;D. The ridiculous thing is that some of these tree plunderers have attached James and Ann's marriage record, where it clearly states his father is Robert. Obviously not bothered to read the records they cite as sources.

Jacob comes from a transcription of an 1841 census which contains a 14 year of James, born in Middlesex occupation bricklayer. If you actually look at the image you can see that the name as Sarah, others have an 1841 image with a 9 year old James in a household with a George and Hannah Wild, living in East Shefford. I thought that was worth pursuing, but the image seems to give the surname as Cox.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
Looking at Robert 1771, he was baptised in Welford, married in Welford and had three children baptised there, John 28 Sep 1800, Amos 2 Jan 1803 and Harriet 6 Oct 1811. In 1841, Robertta and his wife are in East Shefford. Robert died later in 1841, burial and civil registration record as Wilder.
Elizabeth is with Harriett and husband John Pickett in 1851. She has three illegitimate children and an 11 month old George Pickett with husband. On his birth reg mmn is Wylder. They are living in West Shefford.
There is a James Wilder age 14 ag lab in Welford at Elton farm with James Mundy, wife Matilda and several other ag labs.
Is James another of Harriet's illegitimate children, and he gave his grandfather's name as his father's?
Of the 3 illeg children in 1851, oldest born Welford, younger two in West Shefford

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 17:16 BST (UK) »
He wouldn’t be the first illegitimate child to use another relatives details on his marriage cert in order to appear “respectable” so it’s certainly a possibility
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 July 21 00:37 BST (UK) »
Another Robert b abt 1808 in Beedon is in Chievely with wife Sophia and family. She was Sophia nee Hibbert, whom he married in 1830.

Sophia is in my tree, so I can tell you that her Robert was born on 26 Dec 1808 in Beedon, and his parents were David and Ann.
I haven't pursued their children though as she is only a twig.

While you're there .....  I've got a Susan Wilder born about 1804 in Welford in a tree I'm doing for someone else.  Please give me a shout if you come across her before she marries George Heaver in 1828.   ;D
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 July 21 07:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for eliminating the younger Robert.
Your Susan is possibly Susanna Wild d/o Robert and Elizabeth bapt 08 Dec 1805 Welford. Only just found her because Robert abbreviated to Robt. Fits with my lot starting as Wild and becoming Wilder later.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 July 21 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Lizzie.  I'll pencil her in.  Sounds very probable, and she had a son named Robert too.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 July 21 14:17 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering whether Elizabeth Vince was a widow when she married Robert Wild. According to 1851 census she was born in Woolstone abt 1771 /2. No sign of any Vinces in Woolstone or Uffington. She would be 28 - 29 at marriage. There is a marriage of an Elizabeth Giles to a Richard Vince in Welford on 11 Oct 1792, and a burial for a Richard Vince at Welford on 12 feb 1798, no age given. They had a son George bapt 1 May 1796