Author Topic: Bain confessed he married Telford  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bain confessed he married Telford
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 July 21 08:30 BST (UK) »
There's a Causeyside in Paisley also a Gilmour Street. This couple are just getting the banns called, don't see any confessing!

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 July 21 13:28 BST (UK) »
On the 'Causeway-?' subject, just want to make you aware there is also Causewayhead, near Stirling!  I don't think your writing looks much like this, to be honest, but your never know.  Just thought I'd mention it anyway, once you said there is a Scottish connection -- just in case!

Thanks for your interest Annie.   I'm definitely in the right county as my grandmother's family were mostly seafarers, either working for the revenue or merchant navy - or carting goods too and from the docks..

I do actually have  some Perthshire ancestors on my grandfather's side in the late 1700s but I have't come across any M or B records yet, which I've read are in Stirlingshire archives..
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 July 21 13:43 BST (UK) »
There's a Causeyside in Paisley also a Gilmour Street. This couple are just getting the banns called, don't see any confessing!

Skoosh.

Thanks for pulling me up on this Skoosh. Old age, shortsightedness and a non-functioning memory is a drawback   ::)    I did this side of the family about a couple of decades ago, when scarcely any Midlothian records that I needed were online, especially marriages.  Then comparatively recently more church records were published and  I think I must have been daydreaming about Alison Young and Tom Bell of Cramond, Midlothian, who confessed they'd had a civil wedding and been married by the sheriff.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 July 21 08:20 BST (UK) »
Rena, can't remember if I mentioned this book before to you, "Pigeon Holes of Memory!" the life of Dr John Mackenzie, brother to Gairloch. A thick hardback from Amazon and a bargain for about a tenner.
 A great read which explains the double lives of the Mackenzie lairds with estates in Wester Ross but lived mostly in the east.

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 July 21 16:07 BST (UK) »
Rena, can't remember if I mentioned this book before to you, "Pigeon Holes of Memory!" the life of Dr John Mackenzie, brother to Gairloch. A thick hardback from Amazon and a bargain for about a tenner.
 A great read which explains the double lives of the Mackenzie lairds with estates in Wester Ross but lived mostly in the east.

Bests,
Skoosh.

I've checked with the website and yes it is available in hardback for £10.00. but NOT actually available in any version.

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

I've been lucky to find many websites that describe how murderous and whiley many of these landed clansmen were (as described by you) but as I doubt my line owned an estate, I'm claiming the one who believes everyone is equal (although some are more equal than others).   

My father Donald Mck Crum b1910 described his father Andrew Stephenson Dalglish Crum (Glasgow 1863-1926 Hull) as a gentle man.    His Midlothian born mother who signed herself:  Agnes Sime Telford Darling Mason Crum, was won't to express her feelings with a physical action - such as pinning a fleeing son against the wall with a well aimed throw of bread dough that she happened to be kneading when perceived backchat occurred.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 08:23 BST (UK) »
Rena, used, for £10 on Amazon at the moment. A superb book on the lives of the ordinary folk and Dr Mackenzies efforts to modernise their economy when he became his brothers factor and a laird himself. He had to organise the funeral of Gairloch's young wife & child which involved embalming her body himself and the recruiting of hundreds of the tenants to carry the coffin shoulder high in relays and in silence from Gairloch right across Scotland, through the wildest country, to the Mackenzie vault at Beauly. The feeding and billeting of this multitude, plus mourners afterwards, was organised from Connon House in the east.

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for keeping an eye out for this book Skoosh.  It's quite astonishing how there were no books,  to there  now being several books available!

Ordered and delivery now awaited.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 15:30 BST (UK) »
"Cabar Feidh" Rena. ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 July 21 17:39 BST (UK) »
Rena, used, for £10 on Amazon at the moment. A superb book on the lives of the ordinary folk and Dr Mackenzies efforts to modernise their economy when he became his brothers factor and a laird himself. He had to organise the funeral of Gairloch's young wife & child which involved embalming her body himself and the recruiting of hundreds of the tenants to carry the coffin shoulder high in relays and in silence from Gairloch right across Scotland, through the wildest country, to the Mackenzie vault at Beauly. The feeding and billeting of this multitude, plus mourners afterwards, was organised from Connon House in the east.

Bests,
Skoosh.

One enormous and heavy tome has arrived by snail mail.  A slight drawback is going to be that my nose isn't keen on the musty smell when the book is opened.

P.S. If the word "tome" is changed to "tomb", I am not responsible.