Author Topic: 1898 Letter from Rev Thomas Norman Rowsell to his cousin Norman in India  (Read 880 times)

Offline wurding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1898 Letter from Rev Thomas Norman Rowsell to his cousin Norman in India
« on: Wednesday 21 July 21 16:05 BST (UK) »
This letter is a response to Norman Rowsell of India from his cousin (both through the Rowsell and the Norman families from which both descend through different marriages) on the subject of the Rowsell family and genealogical research the sender had conducted in Somerset. I have had limited success in transcribing the writing and would appreciate any assistance with the missing sections:

https://imgur.com/rm8plGK

August 12th 1898

stamped Holy Trinity Parsonage Eltham Kent

My dear Norman

your letter….. has  been forwarded... asking for information about the family history.  I believe John Barry has a complete genealogical tree with all particulars….have ???? it. I possess an old “coat of arms” which was given to my father long ago by an enthusiastic ?????. Which ?? to be identical with that of the Rosewells”, and was said to connect us directly with them. When I was in the neighborhood of Bath and discovered at Dunkerton ?? exist the Cradle of the Race in the little village churchyard is an old T??? with inscriptions ??? obliterated, dating about

https://imgur.com/rm8plGK
Page 2

the beginning of the 17th century on it I found ‘sacred to the memory’ of three generations, the first called Rosewell, the next Rowswell and the next Rowsell. It is very curious that the ??? do not seem to have noticed that the name was under going a change. The record of the parish states that the Rosewells were the principal land owners of the district for many generations and the land finally passed out of their hands through failure of male heirs into a Family ??? which they intermarried. I have a curious old Book - the Trial of the Rev Thos Rosewell  for High Treason: ie for  ??? against the King. In it he is described as of Dunkerton, Somerset, The son of a landowner of good position there who had been defrauded.

https://imgur.com/6pBWT7u

Page 3

All this is amusing and interesting. I also found a queer little rhyme in the same church yard.
“Here is a bed of Roses: here doth lie “John Rosewell, Gent, his wife, ?? children by”
I noticed that the favourite Christian names among them were Thomas and John. Th?? Are still in Bath, a few ??? of the Rosewells and of Rowswells who ??? ??? new ??? from the Parent(?) ??? before the final change of name to Rowsell - and there is in Bath an ??? House with ??? ??? on which the Coat of Arms. Roses command(?) a Well. With lion and head is ca???el ???? ? have been the Rosewells -
I have nothing else in my possession to help ??? ??? but you could ??? d??? Le?? ??? ?oy writing to J. W. Barry [ed. John wolfe Barry, the architect, was a relative]. ??? D?lah?? ?? ????

https://imgur.com/6pBWT7u

Page 4

I was very sorry that when you were last in England I saw with nothing of you ??? owing to your numerous engagements and my duties which were always at cross purposes  - although you ???m???sd w??? ?? see one here it ???ford ??? come off - h? Much manages better ??? time you are in the Old Country. I am glad to hear you can still keep up the good old English sports [ed. Norman was a rugby and tennis player]. I can  ??? ???te usual now to the ?arce ?? Le?? Of them. But have fallen back on Golf and find it as ??? ??? fascinating, I am becoming a very fair player. ??? have f??? L??? In my Parish -
I am afraid your ?? ??arthes is much shaken by Aunt Julia’s death [ed. Likely Julia Montefiore nee Norman d. 1895]. It is always a solemn thing for the Normans when their

Final page

contemporaries and old playmates are called away ? ????? tools the funeral service at Streatham(?)

With kind love - ? ??? cousin(?)
T Norman Rowsell

[ed. Norman’s cousin Thomas Norman Rowsell 1842–1929, incumbent of Holy Trinity Eltham]

[url=https://imgur.com/6QpNbB9]https://imgur.com/6QpNbB9
Pugh, Norman, Hall, Congreve, Rowsell, Montgomery,

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1898 Letter from Rev Thomas Norman Rowsell to his cousin Norman in India
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 18:37 BST (UK) »
My take of page one: 

My dear Norman

your letter TO HERBERT has  been forwarded TO ME asking for information about the family history.  I believe John Barry has a complete genealogical tree with all particulars BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN it. I possess an old “coat of arms” which was given to my father long ago by an enthusiastic ANTIGUARIAN Which PROVES to be identical with that of the Rosewells”, and was said to connect us directly with them. When I was in the neighborhood of Bath and I discovered at Dunkerton, SOM (Somerset) exist the Cradle of the Race in the little village churchyard is an old TOMB with inscriptions ALMOST obliterated, dating about

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 19:06 BST (UK) »
Page 2

the beginning of the 17th century on it I found ‘sacred to the memory’ of three generations, the first called Rosewell, the next Rowswell and the next Rowsell. It is very curious that the WRITERS do not seem to have noticed that the name was under going a change. The record of the parish states that the Rosewells were the principal land owners of the district for many generations and the land finally passed out of their hands through failure of male heirs into a Family WITH  wh(which) they intermarried. I have a curious old Book - the Trial of the Rev Thos Rosewell  for High Treason: ie for PREACHING against the King. In it he is described as of Dunkerton, Somerset, The son of a landowner of good position there who had been defrauded.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 19:09 BST (UK) »
Page 3 has the same link as page 2!
The link for page 4 gives a 404 error!

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 19:15 BST (UK) »
Final page

contemporaries and old playmates are called away AND
HERBERT AND I TOOK THE FUNERAL service at Streatham

With kind love - yr  aff? (your affectionate) cousin
T Norman Rowsell

Offline wurding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 19:27 BST (UK) »
Page 3 has the same link as page 2!
The link for page 4 gives a 404 error!

Thank you for these transcriptions. Here is the correct link for page three https://imgur.com/kUTSrLY

Here is page four again

Offline wurding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 19:35 BST (UK) »
sorry here is page four https://imgur.com/HXyc97i

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 19:48 BST (UK) »
Page 3.  Not entirely sure of the accuracy!

All this is amusing and interesting.
I also found a queer little rhyme
in the same church yard.
“Here is a bed of Roses: here doth lie
“John Rosewell, Gent, his wife,
NINE children by”
I noticed that the favourite Christian
names among them were
Thomas and John. THERE are still
in Bath, a few SURVIVORS of the
Rosewells and of Rowswells who
BROKE AWAY  NO DOUBT FROM THIS