Author Topic: Help deciphering WW2 service file  (Read 1519 times)

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering WW2 service file
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 July 21 15:08 BST (UK) »
Can you give his name please. A contact has a small document relating to MC in the Middle East with a nominal roll.

MaxD

Name is Andrew McCabe 2001405.    Thanks for the link, off to have a look at that now.

Edit - Typo in serial number. Now correct

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 July 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
Here is 1940/41 as best I can get it.  You have to refer to more than one piece of the record at a time.

The document headed "Deemed to have enlisted" has page 2 written at top left  - is there a page 1?

15 Feb 40 joined, basic training with D Company and later (16 Mar 40) C Company 10 Training Battalion RE at the Railway Training Centre
6 May 40 posted from C Company 10 Training Battalion to T Company 9 Training Battalion
7 Dec 1940 (first part undecipherable) but is recording the end of his training and his re-mustering (change of trade classification) from recruit to Pioneer RE Class III
(My understanding is that there were 2 Railway Training Centres, No 1 at Longmoor, No 2 don’t know.)
4 Jan 1941 Posted to No 7 Movement Control Group, embarks for the Middle East 11 Jan 1941 and moves to Greece via Egypt 4 Mar 1941, leaving there 7 Mar 1941 arriving Greece 8 Mar 1941.
Posted to MC Cyprus (conflicting dates both 21 Apr 1941 and 27 May 1941 recorded).  Attached to No 4 Docks Group RE.
Period Apr/May/Jun 1941 is a confusion of conflicting dates with movements to/from Greece, Crete eand Egypt.  It does appear he was involved in the evacuation of Crete which took place 29 May/1 June 1941).  Entries on his record are out of sequence (not unusual) and don’t entirely make sense (also not unusual)
25/26 Sep 1941 one day stay in hospital.

More to come.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 July 21 16:43 BST (UK) »

1942/June 1945
26 Nov 1942 Passed trade test as a Checker D iIII and remustered (confirmed in the trade)
18 Apr 1943 Passed (trade test) as Checker D II
11 Oct 1943 sub posted from 25 Corps to Mov 15 Sub area (there is no record of his being posted to 25 Corps earlier)
10 Nov 1943 Sub posted from Mov Levant to Mov Special Detachment
11 Nov `1943 Sub posted from 15 Sub Area to Mov 9th Army
21 Nov 1943 Sub posted from Mov Special detachment to Mov Levant Area
24 Mar 1944 (Charged with) failing to clean his rifle, forfeits 3 days pay
31 Jul 1944 Sub posted from Mov Spec detachment to Mov 9th Army
26 Aug 1944 Sub posted to Mov Command South.
1 Sep 1944 (When off duty) suffers a contusion of the chin, abrasion to the laft side of his face bruising over the eye sicket and abrasion to the back.  Classed moderately severe, found not to blame.
5 Jun 1945 leaves the Middle East, posted to the RE Traffic Office arrives in UK 14 Jun 1945.

Frustratingly little detail of locations again.

Max D

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 July 21 14:44 BST (UK) »
1945/46
25 Jun 1945 Returns to UK under the Movement Control (Technical Training and Depot ) Battalion near Longmoor.
28/29 July 1945 Posted to HQ Bristol Channel Ports for duty at MC Avonmouth
The next entry against Part II Order 61/45 is a retrospective administrative entry taking him on the strength of MC Avonmouth from 30 Jun 1945
31 Jan 1946 Struck off Strength (of MC Avonmouth) with effect from 1 Feb 1946 on posting to MC Tilbury.
30 April 1946 Posted to the Y List in this context is the beginning of the release process.  He is now out of uniform and back in civilian life, not yet released formally,  but accounted for by being on the Y List, an administrative method of accounting for people.  He was a Class A Release man which was the majority, Class B for example were men who were deemed of immediate value to the country in civilian life.
17 August 1946 to Class Z (Territorial) Royal Army Reserve.  Now released but still on paper in the reserve in case war breaks out again.  This commitment to recall lasted until age 45 or Jun 1959 whichever came first.

It is likely that I have misinterpreted one or two of the abbreviations.  The history to which I sent the link direct may clarify or the MC Historical Sec may help. 

Hope this has all been of use..  You should look at the 1941/1945 period in the context of what was happening in that theatre and try to imagine the amount of movement of men and materiel that was going on, almost all of which needed the services of the movers and although we can't be sure exactly where he served, we can be sure he was a busy man!

I still haven't discovered the role of a checker, still looking!

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 July 21 15:43 BST (UK) »
Max,
I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for me.   When I posted initially I was hoping someone would be able to explain some of the abbreviations etc, but you have effectively gone through his record and translated it into plain English.   Thank you so much.

Still work for me to do, but now armed with your information I can search with greater focus and confidence.   I had a quick look through some of the Corp History document.  So much information in there, and it really does put into perspective the scale of the operation throughout the war.   My father was unskilled, so that possibly explains the initial rank of Pioneer as I understand that rank was established when the RE started to recruit men who had no trade, but they needed the manpower.   He was then remustered as a “Checker D III” Nov 1942 and then as “Checker B III” April 1943.  Like you I have not found anything to explain exactly what a Checker did ( apart from the obvious ).  Although I did read somewhere that the D category was thought to be earth moving equipment etc.    Something the MCA may be able to help me with.

Andrew

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:07 BST (UK) »
Army trades were arranged in  groups, A, B, C and D in a descending order of difficulty and time required in attaining proficiency. There are three degrees of skill, Classes III, II and I, in each Army trade which correspond with the grades of learner, journeyman and master craftsman where there is an equivalent trade in industry. The several rates of pay reflect the time required and difficulty in attaining proficiency in each class of each trade.    Checker was a D Trade and he went from Class III in the trade to Class II.  One thing I noticed, the documents you sent didn't have a record of his medals, that should be somewhere?

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
His file only mentioned the War Medal.  However, after I got his file I applied to the MOD Medal Office .  They confirmed he was awarded the War Medal, 1939-1945 Star and the Defense Medal.  Like so many they had not been claimed so I applied for them and received them a few months ago.  Now duly framed.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 July 21 19:28 BST (UK) »
It might be argued that he was entitled to the Africa Star  also  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility#world-war-2-medals

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 July 21 08:46 BST (UK) »
I too thought that may be the case and asked the Medals Dept, but apparently not.  I also queried the Italy Star as that also includes service in Greece, but again the time he was there was outwith the qualifying period ....

"The Africa Star was awarded in recognition of operational service in
North Africa, (Egypt), between 19 June 1940 and 12 May 1943. Whilst
your father did go to Egypt during this period, it was only whilst in
transit between postings, and does not count towards this award. The
time he spent on the posted strength of a unit in Egypt was after the
campaign in North Africa had finished and was reckonable towards
the Defence Medal.

The Italy Star was awarded tor service in Greece between 11 June
1943 and 8 May 45. Your father's record shows that he arrived in
Greece on 8 March 1941, was there until 23 April 1941. This service
was too early to qualify for the Italy Star."