Author Topic: Dalbeth Cemetery  (Read 887 times)

Offline halliganm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dalbeth Cemetery
« on: Thursday 22 July 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi and I am trying to contact Gerry Farrell.  I have a family line buried in Old Dalbeth and due to a late r burial for a Richard Waters born and died in 1883 aged just 14 days I have a Lair number which is shown as 474/541 W S.  I assume that the grave itself is situated at ''541 West?'', but hope that someone can confirm this.  There should be a stone on it........but it may have disappeared by now.  I hope this posting will find Gerry Farrell.  I see from his superb photos that the trees have been removed, but is it safe to wander about in it yet?  Thanks for any help halliganm

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Dalbeth Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 August 21 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hiya,  I've looked through the records I have of the surviving headstones for Old Dalbeth and sadly there doesn't appear to be a headstone for any surname Waters. Looking at the burial register entry the lair s indeed 541 West Side. (The 474 refers to the entry No. of the register of lair owners).

West side is the right hand side looking from London Road) Lair 541 will be near the middle of the cemetery. Hope this helps.

I haven't been down for a long time, so don't know what the current state of the cemetery is.

Gerry
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline halliganm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 August 21 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry, Thanks for the reply.  I manged to tie the lair to the name of Welsh eventually and on the 1891 page I also found a James Farrell died 1891 25 November aged 11 and he is in 351 WS in case he is one of yours.

The Waters I had hoped to be able to find is my GG Grandfather Richard Waters he died in 1857 after a fall from a ship being built in Tod McGregor's Partick yard and they paid for the funeral......including a stone.

Here is what I got from University of Glasgow holdings of Wylie and Lochhead Undertakers.  It must have been a swanky affair and this for a man who was at the very lowest end of the social scale.

The burial entry in the Dalbeth register has a very limited amount of information as you will know being carried out in 1857.  The entry has his condition as Kil'd.......Anything come to mind about where he might be interred?....Any help gratefully received...Martin

Thank you for your enquiry about Richard Waters and the records of Wylie & Lochhead Funeral Directors.
I have checked the records and found the following information that I hope is useful to you:
Date Wylie & Lochhead informed of death: 30th December 1857
Name of those who paid for the funeral: Tod & McGregor
Name of deceased: Richard Waters
Address : Lonewell, Govan
Coffin size: 6 feet
Driver/ushers/bearers/attendants provided: Covered coach and driver
Location of grave: Dalbeath
Date/time of burial: Thursday 31st December, 1pm
Other information: Memorial: as soon as possible
(Source ref: FRAS42/19)

Offline halliganm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 August 21 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again Gerry

Just further to my posts, the baby I found in the Welsh grave was Richard Waters grandson of the Richard who was killed in 1857 that is why I thought that I had found him when I saw the burial of the baby.  The mother was maiden name of Welsh.

The interment for my Richard Waters died in 1857 has inaccuracies in it.  He is found named as Robert Haters and it also says under location Private Ground.  Usually that means a common grave which I find a bit odd as a stone was definitely ordered by Tod McGregor.

As I said any help would be gratefully recieved.  I had a Brian Farrell in my class at SMA in 1963 by the way...Martin

Offline Burnsr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am looking for a stone that has 3 males on. All of them should have the surname Burns, and all the first name ‘John’ or one with ‘Johnny’. I know the most recent male would be:
John Edward Burns
Born: 1954
Died: 2005

I’ve never been able to find them on the website, could anyone help to confirm if this stone and where it is please.

Thank you in advance, Rosina

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 22:12 GMT (UK) »
In response to a query about the Old Dalbeth, the condition just before the pandemic was good in that you could walk around in it but sadly, there are so few stones still in existance.The only one that still looks pristine is the enormous Byers stone.Its a wonder to say the least. I hope that maybe a way can be found to perhaps ID those that were buried in that part of the cemetery or fix it enough that maybe families who have relatives in that section of the cemetery could engrave in a plaque or along wall names of relations in that part of cemetery. Kim

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Gerry

Just further to my posts, the baby I found in the Welsh grave was Richard Waters grandson of the Richard who was killed in 1857 that is why I thought that I had found him when I saw the burial of the baby.  The mother was maiden name of Welsh.

The interment for my Richard Waters died in 1857 has inaccuracies in it.  He is found named as Robert Haters and it also says under location Private Ground.  Usually that means a common grave which I find a bit odd as a stone was definitely ordered by Tod McGregor.

As I said any help would be gratefully recieved.  I had a Brian Farrell in my class at SMA in 1963 by the way...Martin

Hi Martin,

I have only just noticed your post from 2021, I wonder if you are still a member of Rootschat?

If you are a descendant of Richard Waters (died 1928?)  and his wife Catherine Welsh (1858 - 1930) we will have a DNA link through Catherine's maternal grandmother Mary McNamara who died in Govan in 1862. I have a picture of the baptism record for baby Richard who died 1883. He was baptised at St Anthony's Govan. PM me if you are interested in it.
Private Ground does not mean a common grave, that would be "Public Ground".
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosina

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

In respect of finding the reference for the burial lair for your Burns family, I recommend that you follow up this way:

St. Peter's Dalbeth Roman Catholic Cemetery, unlike St. Kentigern's Cemetery, is still the responsibility of the Archdiocese of Glasgow.  For burial records after 1955 and for information on earlier lair registers, you should contact Sharon Scullion at Archdiocese of Glasgow, 196 Clyde Street, Glasgow G1 4JY Phone: 0141 226 5898.
www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Burial-Lair-and-Cremation-Registers.aspx

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 February 22 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have information on deaths of children around the year 1873? I have information on 3 family members who died around that time. Three young children to be accurate. If they were interred as Catholics in those days I am lead to believe they would have been buried in Dalbeth Cemetery. Would it be right to assume they would be in the poor ground? Yet also might there be records of where they might be? I guess this might be a long shot, but hopefully a chance. Ed.