Author Topic: Advice Needed  (Read 1200 times)

Offline lposhea83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Needed
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 July 21 17:34 BST (UK) »
I've seen the record (FoC from TNA) and it shows that his occupation was originally recorded as "collier" and subsequently corrected to "fitter's mate". It could well be that "Beverley" was wrong too.

Thanks that's a good point. Is there any other military records I could check? Attestation papers or anything like that?

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 July 21 17:35 BST (UK) »
I have downloaded his record from the National Archives, the most likely answer is he gave false information on attesting in the RM, it is not uncommon for people to do this for whatever reason they may have at the time, there was no proof required.

There is nothing in his records to provide any further clues that I can see.

TNA do have another record not digitised, but suspect that will only duplicate the information you already have.

I’m not sure why Rena is referring to the Army ???
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 July 21 17:49 BST (UK) »
There is this, but as Jebber says, it has not been digitised:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12332103
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 July 21 18:50 BST (UK) »
Their son John Thomas was baptised on 28th February 1891, and their residence was given as 3 Priest Dale, Chatham.

But by the time of the 1891 census, on 5th April, number 3 Priest Dale was marked as unoccupied and Sarah + Ethel, William and John were 'visitors' with a Mary Ashenden in Northfleet.

No sign at all of William  :-\

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 July 21 20:37 BST (UK) »

I’m not sure why Rena is referring to the Army ???

The first postings were rather vague and I see that I was writing my post when a further submission was made.  Beverly and Manchester don't conjure up images of the sea.  If the city of Salford had been mentioned I would have equated that to the Salford Quays = water/

We're all on the same page now but although I have both naval and army personnel amongst my kith and kin I can't offer any  useful advice.   Except army marines are part of the navy :-)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline lposhea83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 July 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
Their son John Thomas was baptised on 28th February 1891, and their residence was given as 3 Priest Dale, Chatham.

But by the time of the 1891 census, on 5th April, number 3 Priest Dale was marked as unoccupied and Sarah + Ethel, William and John were 'visitors' with a Mary Ashenden in Northfleet.

Thanks I don't think I've seen that baptism record before, that address is really close to where I am now

Offline lposhea83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 July 21 21:02 BST (UK) »
I have downloaded his record from the National Archives, the most likely answer is he gave false information on attesting in the RM, it is not uncommon for people to do this for whatever reason they may have at the time, there was no proof required.

There is nothing in his records to provide any further clues that I can see.

TNA do have another record not digitised, but suspect that will only duplicate the information you already have.

Thanks both for this record if I don't make any progress I may have to take a trip to Kew on a long shot

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 24 July 21 11:17 BST (UK) »

Thanks I don't think I've seen that baptism record before, that address is really close to where I am now

https://cityark.medway.gov.uk/wwwopacx/wwwopac.ashx?command=getcontent&server=files&value=P085B-01-04(2).pdf
I can't seem to get the URL for the exact page. Scroll down on this link until you reach page 17/51
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk