Author Topic: Completed thanks - help finding a death registration on Qld BDM  (Read 370 times)

Offline eilidh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Completed thanks - help finding a death registration on Qld BDM
« on: Friday 23 July 21 02:40 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

Hoping that someone can help me locate the death registration on QLD BDM index of  -

Charles Brecht b1826 Germany, immigrated to Australia 1854, and died 1876 in Ipswich Qld

I have a record of his death on TROVE 20/4/1876  which states he died on 14/04/1876, and an entry  Ipswich cemetery  Carl Brecht died 14/04/1876 aged 50 years.

I am trying to find his death registration on Qld BDM index to establish hopefully the names of his parents.   Tried with Carl, Karl, Charles and Johann.  Wild cards you name it.  However don't know what I am doing wrong but cannot locate.

Bye E

CATER, Braintree, Colchester & Leek
CHIVAS, Fraserburgh Scotland, Canada, USA
DIGBY, Braintree, Colchester, Essex
DONALDSON, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Canada, USA
McKIE, Kirkudbright,Wigton, Whithorn
PICKERING, Leek, Staffordshire
SHALLCROSS, Leek, Staffordshire
STONEHEWER, Leek, Staffordshire
TIDESWELL, Leek, Staffordshire
VERNON, Leek, Staffordshire
WALKER, Holywood

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: help finding a death registration on Qld BDM
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 July 21 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If he married, could his parents names be on the marriage cert?  If married in NSW in 1856 or since, then he would have been asked for that info, and as Qld was hived off from NSW in 1859, it is likely if he married in Qld, that his parents names would be on the Qld marriage registration.  It would be first hand information on the marriage records, whereas on the death registration the family history information is often not as reliable.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline eilidh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 July 21 03:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Majm

He married in Germany, I was just trying to establish his parents names to double check I have the right person. 

My frustration is I cannot find his death recorded on Qld BDM index.  Seems strange that nothing comes up.

E

WALKER, Holywood

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 July 21 03:20 BST (UK) »
Not altogether flattering obituary ;D
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/121927929

I do not see his death on the Qld index on or around that date.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 July 21 03:35 BST (UK) »
The online indexes can have flaws, just like indexes in the pre-internet days.    Have you asked Qld BDM to check their actual holdings for that month, afterall you have the surname, the date and the cemetery, so they should be able to readily conduct a manual search for that 'district' in that month/quarter.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/information-and-how-to-access-and-order-records

Qld bdm under https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/information-and-how-to-access-and-order-records/hints-and-tips#incorrect

Is the information in the index correct?
We try to make sure the information in the historical index is correct.

Our index records are copied from handwritten records created by the Registrar-General of the time. Sometimes the cursive writing may not have been read correctly when the information was copied into our index.

It is also possible that the information given to us when the event was registered—the original information—might not be correct. As historical records, the information on a historical certificate or image is what was recorded at the time of the event.

If you do find a mistake, please let us know and we will review the record and make a correction if applicable. Information will not be changed if the historical index accurately shows the information that was given at the time of registration.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 July 21 03:44 BST (UK) »
Is this his naturalisation in Feb 1862 in NSW Archives?

https://search.records.nsw.gov.au/permalink/f/1ebnd1l/INDEX1416385

JM

Offline eilidh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 July 21 03:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone,

Agree Sue, not a flattering article, and yet he was give licence to run a hotel even though being charged with sly grogging on numerous occasions. 

Yes I will follow through with the Qld BDM and your link JM. I think he was in Qld by then unfortunately.

bye E
WALKER, Holywood