Author Topic: BendigoGraves resources  (Read 702 times)

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
Re: BendigoGraves resources
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 September 21 00:16 BST (UK) »
Urnert,
Thank you so much for your time and efforts. I will go through your information over the weekend and get back to you.  I very much appreciate it. 

Stay safe.
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 September 21 05:06 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline urnert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 September 21 07:45 BST (UK) »
Regarding the birth of James Richards c1858 at sea?  I recall now that a ship's captain had to register the birth of any child on board at the first (British?) port he called into after the birth. Of course you would need to know the ship the parents travelled on and then trace the movement of the ship.  there is the "Log of Logs" a register of all ships which came to Australia and when you know the name of the ship search for it on "Trove" as there may be items about the ship.  Searching the catalogue of the public library in the state the ship arrived may also find a diary/diaries kept by passengers. Of course none of this helps to actually find what happened to James, but other lines of inquiry are handy to have on standby for further research. good luck

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 September 21 01:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sparrett for adding the links and Urnert for the information.

As far as the Harry twins b&d 1876, I have them listed as Rebecca Harry and Unknown father, they weren't her first husband's children as he died in 1874.  She married her second husband in 1878 and Edith, who died in infancy, has the name, Richards. Family history also told of the death of an infant sister. Edith is the one buried at Eaglehawk but I cannot find the burial place of the twins.

From looking at a range of records, I am coming to the belief that the James Richards, carter, in Hargraves St, may indeed be the man I am looking for.  He disappeared from the family home on records around this time. When I have the chance, I'll spend some time on that aspect of the research.

None of the other names in the burial records ring any bells and they don't seem to be family names  I've come across. However,  as I am yet to establish much about James Richards, his birth, his arrival into Australia, his parents and where they settled, I cannot rule out siblings and their offspring - so the search continues.

Thanks for the tip about birth registrations at sea.  I will need to broaden my area of research.

Urnert, I appreciate your time and efforts. Thank you. Stay safe.
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin