Author Topic: Bolton workhouses, can you get records?  (Read 2490 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bolton workhouses, can you get records?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 July 21 21:28 BST (UK) »
Perhaps we ought to wait for Fibrokitty to come back - after all we have no names or further evidence for us to offer any further help.   :-\  At the moment we are going round in ever-decreasing circles.  :-[ 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 July 21 12:43 BST (UK) »
Perhaps we ought to wait for Fibrokitty to come back - after all we have no names or further evidence for us to offer any further help.   :-\  At the moment we are going round in ever-decreasing circles.  :-[

We've suggested sources for Fibrokitty to explore.
I've just remembered my dad telling me about an incident from his childhood. He and his dad were harvesting swedes in a roadside field. A man walking along the road stopped to ask if Bolton workhouse was near enough to reach by nightfall. Granddad gave him directions and handed him a swede to take with him. (I don't know if the swede was to gnaw on the journey or hand in at the workhouse kitchen.  :-\ Granddad had seen hungry, destitute and homeless people in his youth in Mayo. It was a matter of honour not to let a hungry person go on his way without giving him food.) Having no option but the workhouse was a fear of my grandparents, passed to their children.

Cowban

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
  • Who will tell your story when you're gone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 July 21 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thank-you all so much for your replies, i am looking through everything that has been sent through now, i couldn't get online last night my apologies.

All i know is that he was living with his parents in Chorlton in the 1901 census , his mum dying in 1901, then his dad in 1905 and by 1911 he was living with my ancestors due to my gr gr granddad taking a shine to him, i presumed it would have been Bolton workhouse due to the closeness of where it is to where my ancestors were but the story Maiden Stone mentioned is interesting! He would have been 6 when his mum died and then 10 when his dad passed but with being between census' its difficult to say if they if they all ended up in a workhouse due to his dad not being able to cope due to the loss of his wife and baby girl within a few months or if they went in after their dad had died.

The boys name is Charles Ernest Sisson born 1894, i found a sister Florence and a brother Samuel George Sisson ( on the 1901 census he was just George) all their other siblings died as babies, including one around the time their mother died. I was hoping to maybe spot these siblings in the workhouse also, i know biological research wise it means nothing to my tree but im so intrigued to why my ancestor saved this boy and why he was there.
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 July 21 17:29 BST (UK) »
https://www.boltonlams.co.uk/archives/fees-and-charges

The subject of Bolton Workhouse once came up on the Battista thread.  Apparently, as I recall reading, the library has records.  This is the link which shows contact info.
It will show 'page not found' but the contact info seems to be at the bottom.
I think it was mentioned that they do 20 mins of research free but I don't know if this still is the case.  It might be worth emailing to ask.

Thankyou im hopefully going to get down in a couple of weeks, we are isolating at the moment but fingers crossed if i find some dates it could make it easier for them to find!
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 July 21 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I can see the 1901 census entry - RG13/3690 folio 72 page 15 - where Charles is with his parents Samuel and Alice and his siblings. 

Charles Ernest Sisson - 1894 - mother's maiden name = Robins.  Florence and Lydia Alice have the same mmn.

Not sure why I can't see Charles in 1911.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 July 21 18:09 BST (UK) »
Here is Charles (age 17) in the free index to 1911 census.
Should be Sisson
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWYY-4ZT

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 July 21 18:39 BST (UK) »
OK - now I'm really confused -

Charles Ernest Sissons - registered Prestwich RD in 1894 - mmn = Robins.  Alice Robins and Samuel Sisson, married 1890 - Basford RD.

1891 census - RG12/2675 folio 78, page 52 - Samuel and Alice - Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire.

1901 census with parents Samuel and Alice - born 1894 - Openshaw = Charles E

1911 census - Charles E P Sisson - aged 17 - born Birmingham
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 July 21 18:48 BST (UK) »
School records for Samuel and Charles

St James Church of England School, Gorton
Parent Samuel/Address 12 Bank Street

Admitted 10th April 1899 Saml Geo Sisson
Birthdate 13th October 1881 (it does say this, must be a mistake)
Previous school Nottingham

Admitted 3rd December 1900 Charles Sisson
Birthdate 30th May 1894

Also in the Swinton Industrial School. Admitted 29th March 1905
George Sisson, 13 Parish to which chargeable, Prestwich
Discharged 13th March 1906 sent to Boys Refuge for emigration to Canada.
There is a George Sisson age 14 going to Canada with a page full of other boys, just listed as children.
4th April 1906 Liverpool to Saint John NB on the Victorian, a journey of 24 days.

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 25 July 21 18:53 BST (UK) »
Yes thats the right 1911 census with my gr gr granddad as the head, i have been backwards and forwards on and off over the years with where Charles stated he was born but maybe he didn't know exactly where he was born once the 1911 came about, he has also wrote Birmingham on his ww1 service records also. The family part on the record though for father, mother and siblings is said NIL which didnt help the research. It had been 10 years since his father had died.
On the 1901 his dad is from Derbyshire, his mum from Staffordshie, his brother from Nottingham, they really did dot about.
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe