Author Topic: London Neighbourhoods  (Read 1872 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: London Neighbourhoods
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 July 21 19:19 BST (UK) »

[/quote]
That is a fantastic resource!
[/quote]

I know!!

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 14:24 BST (UK) »

That is a fantastic resource!
[/quote]

I know!!
[/quote]

Now the question remains for me what was the makeup of the population of the City of London (not covered in this excellent map) in the 18th and 19th centuries? Was it uniformly prosperous or poor - I'm still trying to ascertain the origins of William Ward the transported convict b about 1799. I'm working on examining all the possibilities for his origins.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 15:21 BST (UK) »
Manchester Square, the location of the theft, is in Marylebone.  But perhaps you already know that, which is why you’re looking at that area.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 19:19 BST (UK) »
Manchester Square, the location of the theft, is in Marylebone.  But perhaps you already know that, which is why you’re looking at that area.
Thank you, Yes I know the area and previous genealogical research has fixed on a William Ward b in 1799 to a couple William Ward and Anne Catherine Hennell in Marylebone. My problem is I wonder if in fact a chimney sweep would be likely to have lived in Marylebone as it seems more a middle class area and I was under the impression that it was that way even then. That couple seems to have been more prosperous than I would expect to have a chimney sweep as a son.

Perhaps I'm being overly scrupulous but I hate to misrepresent people.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 July 21 00:57 BST (UK) »
I’ve just looked up the baptism record for the above-mentioned William Ward with parents William and Ann Catherine.  The record says they are from the parish of St.Mary le Bow.  This church is in Cheapside, which is also where the record states their house was.  Not at all in Marylebone.  So not a reliable source.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t bring you any closer to knowing who his parents really were.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 July 21 14:02 BST (UK) »
I’ve just looked up the baptism record for the above-mentioned William Ward with parents William and Ann Catherine.  The record says they are from the parish of St.Mary le Bow.  This church is in Cheapside, which is also where the record states their house was.  Not at all in Marylebone.  So not a reliable source.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t bring you any closer to knowing who his parents really were.

In examining more documents I'm 99.9% positive that they were not his parents. In a will this William Senior is described as a Gentleman and Stock Broker.  So I'm not further with finding a real link to his parents but  I intend to slog on. Thank you!

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 August 21 20:33 BST (UK) »
My ancestors were in Marylebone for at least the first half of the nineteenth century and were not wealthy. Servants, porters, and so on. My 5xgreat-grandmother was Elizabeth Ward, born approx 1784, married George Perfett in Marylebone in 1816, died in Marylebone in 1856.

I haven't been able to find any trace of either of them prior to their marriage. Too many Wards to be certain which family is mine. Have worked on a theory that George was from Portsmouth, but haven't been able to prove or disprove conclusively. Any connection with your Wards?

I am grateful for your reply. I've now spent considerable time working on this family and the neighbourhood of Marylebone in particular and believe I found the information I was looking for.

I also grateful for the advice from others on this thread. I learnt that the area wasn't at all monochromatic but had considerable poor and working class people living there and my ancestors were terribly poor living in the workhouse at times.

I've not come across Elizabeth in my search but if I do I will return to this topic. All good wishes.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 August 21 22:13 BST (UK) »
Dave,  would you be okay with sharing some of your findings with us?  I ask because I’m in contact with someone who is also searching this William Ward, and has come to a halt.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 August 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
Dave,  would you be okay with sharing some of your findings with us?  I ask because I’m in contact with someone who is also searching this William Ward, and has come to a halt.
William Ward who was transported to NSW in 1817 was a chimney sweep in London. He was arrested in Marylebone for stealing a shawl worth a couple of shillings. Researchers for years have claimed his parents to be a William and Catherine Ward of Marylebone. This couple was however very much middle class people and I have not been comfortable at all with that attribution.

My work so far suggests he was the son of John Ward (1765-1811) who died a pauper. Their son William was b 5 Jan 1800. This date isn't an exact match for William's suggested age of 16 or 17 or even 18 depending on the criminal records which vary. His father died a pauper in 1811, and I believe his mother who was nearly 50 when he was born, died a few months later in 1800. They had married in the parish church in 1795, a second marriage for both. That's what I've found and I think it entirely plausible that an orphan in Marylebone was a chimney sweep and struggling to survive was arrested for what today would be called petty theft. You may PM me if you want more.