Author Topic: Bayntum / Baynton / Bainton Family Website  (Read 671 times)

Offline CullenDolan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bayntum / Baynton / Bainton Family Website
« on: Sunday 25 July 21 04:16 BST (UK) »
I removed www.bayntun-history.com last year after a lack of information on the early generations of the Bayntun family, however now, due to less pressure at work and a more enthusiastic approach and the acquisition of some new information that may help, I am anxious to upload it again but still a few weeks away as I am having to learn the process again and a change of system has not helped me either.

I had a Walter Bayntun and a Henry Bayntun included in my early generations and I think this may have caused confusion to a lot of people as they presumed they were the son and heirs but in fact they were included as just members of the Bayntun family whom I had found information on various documents and on the internet itself and with this confusion lingering over my head always, I decided to pull the webpage off for a time so I could gather my head around all of this.

I do realise that not everything on the internet is correct and is always a great source for people to comment on. Such discussion is often very helpful when people point out facts and dates that either fit better or cancel out what you have worked out. Had there not have been a mention of the “19th Lineal Descent” at all, things would most likely

I started with Sir Henry Bayntun who was a Knight of St. John of Jerusalem and Knight Marshal of the Household to King Henry II as when John Bayntun (1688-1716) died his headstone indicated that he was the "Nineteenth in Lineal Descent from Sir Henry Bayntun, Knight Marshal of the Household to Henry II”.

From John, I included the more proven information available to me on the various generations of the Bayntuns all the way back to Thomas Bayntun (1300-1358) and from that point I had four generations to fill and for many years I was unable to select the correct descendancy as every webpage I look at had different combinations and some had even more than four in between Sir Henry (the Knight) and Thomas Bayntun. In most cases these would have fitted if they all married young, or indeed if I was not guided by the wording on the above mentioned headstone of 19 lineal descendants.

Also taking into account that Between the years 1545 and 1549, Sir Andrew Bayntun made an extraordinary agreement with Thomas, Lord Seymour of Sudley, whereby the two men exchanged the whole of their properties in Wiltshire. He was indeed lucky, after Seymour was executed for treason, to have most of his lands returned to him by the Queen. But later dealings with he and the notorious Gabriel Pledall and the corrupt Sir William Sharyngton also took place, as both men appear in Andrew's will as executors, with his lands assigned to them, probably as a result of deceit or forgery. This may very well be the main reason why he entailed the remaining Bayntun estates to his brother, Edward who inherited all after Sir Andrew. This previously he had drawn up an Indenture with his brother Edward Bayntun, recording their agreement that Andrew should hold the land for his lifetime; after his death it should revert to his brother Edward and his wife Agnes, as Sir Andrew did not have a son and heir.

I counted both of these persons as ONE lineal descent unlike the others who were sons and heirs.

Based on all of this I have come up with a compromise as to the early generations of the Bayntuns and the timeframes bearing in mind realistic years in between for marriages. However as I previously stated, this could be tweaked to include one or more but again I was bearing in mind the 19 LINEAL DESCENTS. In doing so I have incorporated most of your suggested generations to include:

(0) Sir Henry BAYNTUN (born circa ?)
Knight of St John of Jerusalem and Knight Marshall of the Household of King Henry II of England.
His second son, Henry, a Knight of St. John was slain in Bretague in 1201.

(1st Descendant) Sir RALPH BAYNTUN (born circa ?)
Married to Eleanor Eyngrove (1078-1113), (daughter of Sir Simon Eyngrove)

(2nd Descendant) Sir RALPH BAYNTUN (1113-1149)
Married Maud Obington, (daughter of Sir John Obington (1118-1149) and co-heir of her brother Sir John Obington)

(3rd Descendant) Sir RALPH BAYNTUN (1149-1185)
Married Margaret Burwash, (daughter of Sir Stephen Burwash)

(4th Descendant) HENRY BAYNTUN (1185-1262)
Married Joan Sinton, (daughter of Sir Hamon Sinton)

(5th Descendant) THOMAS BAYNTUN (born 1300)

I would welcome opinions on this and would be very open to any edits. I doubt we will ever know the exact generations but the above looks more likely as I dont have much information on their lives, or at least, I was not able to find out anything about them, their wives, or the fathers of the women they married.

The dates on the above were from Geni.com and James Edward Benton, perhaps a variation of Baynton, and the dates fit in, whether they are accurate is another thing. I am in the process of contacting him also to see where he sourced the dates from but had not had a response.

However I would like to hear any comments and/or any information the may be relevant to the above wives of the early Bayntun generations.

Thanks in advance GERRY CULLEN