Author Topic: Need help with George Percival Abbott Nelson  (Read 724 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Need help with George Percival Abbott Nelson
« on: Sunday 25 July 21 05:35 BST (UK) »
George Percival Abbott Nelson died in 1901 registered South Prahran aged 50. I haven't obtained the death certificate yet as it says Unknown for names of father, mother and spouse, so not much info there.

I thought that with such a distinctive name it would be easy to find out more about him. No such luck! A George A. Nelson is buried in Melbourne Cemetery - died 12 Nov 1901, born 1849-50 (info from Find a Grave), - I'm pretty sure that's him, given those dates.

A search on Trove didn't bring up any hits for variations of his name. The closest I could get was George Percival Abbott, who was a juror at Hay NSW in March 1884. This same person is mentioned as George P. Abbott as a baritone, pianist and musical director in Hay in the 1870s.

I'm trying to find his parents and date/place of birth - or any other info about him.

Where else can I look?

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with George Percival Abbott Nelson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 21 05:52 BST (UK) »
Some rhetorical questions for your ponderings....

Have you knowledge of his siblings, or his NELSON cousins?   Where were they born, who were their parents/grandparents?  How is he connected to you?  Was he married, did he have children?  Was he a witness at any of his siblings marriages? 

What other information do you already know about him?  His occupation?  How do you know that he is a person of interest to you? - by his age and locality or by the ''uniqueness" of his name?

Have you exhausted all the resources at RChat's Victoria resources board .... Street Directories, etc
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/   

:D  :D  :D  :D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 July 21 06:04 BST (UK) »
Grevilles PO Directory 1875 HAY
Robert NELSON, selector, Rudd's Point.
NONE as ABBOTT.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 July 21 06:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reminder JM, I sometimes forget about the Rootschat resources.

I'm trying to confirm a family story - yes, I know :-)

According to several sources, Margaret Cannan, nee Nelson, died in the Bendigo Benevolent Asylum in 1906, recording that she had 10 children, 4 illegitimate with Jeffrey James Keating and 5 with James Cannan whom she married in Melbourne on 31 December 1851. The will of the second child with James Cannan, Samuel Cannan who died in December 1890 , says he had 8 siblings:

"eight brothers and sisters, viz. William Kenton (half brother), Robert Cannon and six others whose names and addresses I have been unable to ascertain". That makes 9 descendants, plus James Cannan died 1856 aged 4.

George Percival Abbott Nelson seemed a likely candidate, especially since JJK abandoned her in Melbourne about 1848. I thought perhaps the first names might be a clue to his parentage.

England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 July 21 06:37 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Rates Books for Prahan?  In 1896, There's a George NELSON, a letter carrier, at 9 Irene Place.  I am not familiar with these digitised records.... so please try to gain access to the digitised versions at a public library  ....  I think the info is saying that in July 1896:
The owner was a William NELSON. 
William's name has been struck through and above his name is Catherine A.  and 9 Peake Street Ballarat written. 
Also letter carrier has been struck through and Cellarman written above.   
There were 6W rooms. 

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 July 21 07:26 BST (UK) »
I agree with that reading, JM.

Adding that 9 Irene Place is  a middle-sized timber house placed on the corner with Errol Street Prahran.

Sue

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 July 21 07:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM and sparrett, I was able to view the record on ancestry. A good lead, given the other  names mentioned.
England:

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 July 21 00:28 BST (UK) »
I can rule out George Percival Abbot - he died in 1899 at Echuca, aged 36, so born c1863. Too young to be connected.
England:

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 July 21 01:38 BST (UK) »

PROV Probate -
Samuel CANNON Date of grant: 03 Feb 1891; Date of death: 18 Dec 1890; Occupation: Railway Labourer; Residence: Neerim

Samuel CANNAN, railway labourer, formerly a baker.

Janet Amelia Hall CANNAN, widow of the deceased, residing at Bainsford Villa, Clarendon Street Malvern ...

..his relations, and next of kin ...widow Janet Amelia Hall CANNAN, his mother Margaret CANNAN residing at Peg Leg street Eaglehawk eight brothers and sisters viz. William KENTON half-brother and Robert CANNAN and six others whose names and addresses I have been unable to ascertain.

This information is recorded on the document. 

"..(Margaret CANNAN) had 10 children, 4 illegitimate with Jeffrey James Keating and 5 with James Cannan whom she married in Melbourne on 31 December 1851. "

Can you please list all the information on this death certificate. Who is the informant?

What names do you have for the children of Margaret NELSON?