Author Topic: William Edward Burris 1808-1857  (Read 1013 times)

Offline PommieG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Edward Burris 1808-1857
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 July 21 23:34 BST (UK) »
This may have no connection to your family, but the Bristol Pollbook of 1830 has a John Burris, brazier, living at Narrow Wine Street.
Thanks Lily. It might be quite significant. My search on Ancestry.com has come up with Burris in Bristol which I've yet to investigate. My g-g-grandfather John Burris (Burroughs 1841 census) says N born in county. If he had lived to 1851 census I would have got his birth place. But he died 1848. Assuming William Edward Burris was his brother I now have a father John to work with. There are a few listed on ancestry. Your find of a brazier is the best option so far. I would like to confirm that John and William were in fact brothers before going ahead.

Offline PommieG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 04:14 BST (UK) »
My thanks to all of you that made a contribution.
  My conclusions :-
William should have been in the 1841 census in Longacre, I searched the pages that I could access, but no mention of him. Martha Lama is listed as Martha Lenmer or Lammey along with her mother Elizabeth. Martha's estimated age of 15 is too low,17 according to her baptism 1824. The marriage to William is substantiated by the certificate and then they appear next in 1850 Oregon Territory USA. I have not found a record of their emigration.
      I have extended my ancestry family tree by adding John Burris the father of William as the father of John Burris 1804-48 and assumed John and William to be brothers, not born in Middlesex.
       Finding a John Burris, brazier of the right age is too much of a coincidence to be ignored.  So now my search continues in Bristol, Gloucestershire.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 14:18 BST (UK) »

Martha Lama is listed as Martha Lenmer or Lammey along with her mother Elizabeth. Martha's estimated age of 15 is too low,17 according to her baptism 1824.

1841 census rounds down ages to nearest 5 for those over 15.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk