Author Topic: Transportation  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Transportation
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 July 21 20:11 BST (UK) »
As a general rule in the 1700s, offences involving property generally attracted harsher sentences than offences against the person, and this attitude tended to persist into the early 1800s.

In 1830 there were over 200 crimes that commanded the death penalty.
One being theft in excess of 5 shillings.
In reality it only applied to the lower orders.

But in practice many of these sentences were commuted -- capital sentences to transportation, transportation to imprisonment, etc. Have a look at Digital Panopticon ...

https://www.digitalpanopticon.org/Penal_Outcomes

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 July 21 14:57 BST (UK) »
A healthy 18 year old woman would have been viewed as a baby machine & top of the list
for transportation.

The study recommended by Bookbox suggests that age, health & fitness and occupation were important factors in selection for transportation. A ship's captain wouldn't risk taking anyone who might not survive the voyage or who might bring infection onboard. Older, unfit or sick convicts would have been left behind to serve their sentence in prisons or on prison hulks in Britain or freed early. A high proportion of young convicted women were transported in first half of 19th century. Female domestic servants were in demand in the new colonies.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 July 21 15:34 BST (UK) »
More sources of information about crime and punishment:

"The Proceedings of the Old Bailey  -  London's Central Criminal Court, 1674-1913
Punishments at the Old Bailey  -  Late 17th century to early 20th century"
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/static/Punishment.jsp

"Old British News - Death Sentences 1830"
https://oldbritishnews.com/death-sentences-1830/
This is a list compiled from English and Welsh counties. Vast majority of names on list are male. Some of the few females on list were sentenced in same place & same time as a male with same surname.
Also lists for 1831, 1832, 1833 and 1835-9 and for other decades. Some lists include estimated birth years for some convicts. Recommends looking at newspapers for more information.

"Crime and Law in England 1750-1840" by Peter King published by Cambridge University Press. A topic addressed is gender. Accessible online as  pdf.

National Archives "Crime and Punishment : Punishment 1750-1900" 
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/candp/punishment/g09/default.htm

Cowban

Offline Shetland Sausage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 July 21 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who replied. There's some great information there, and it's really helped me understand transportation, which is something I was pretty ignorant about up to now. I've subsequently found a second sibling who was sent to Tasmania, this time for 15 years. I think the family had issues!
Bodenham (Cheltenham, Birmingham)
Morgan (Standish)
Hendon (Bath)
Ponter (Bath)
Fowles (Bath)
Wright (Eastington)
Wesson (Birmingham)
Corbyn (Norfolk, Birmingham)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 July 21 19:13 BST (UK) »
I've subsequently found a second sibling who was sent to Tasmania, this time for 15 years. I think the family had issues!

Were they convicted at the same time? Was the offence also stealing? Giving them the benefit of the doubt, cause may have been poverty.
Cowban

Offline Shetland Sausage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 July 21 19:25 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, I'm sure the cause was poverty - grinding, relentless poverty the like of which we rarely see in this country nowadays, thank goodness. You only have to look at the probate records to see that they had nothing whatsoever.
Bodenham (Cheltenham, Birmingham)
Morgan (Standish)
Hendon (Bath)
Ponter (Bath)
Fowles (Bath)
Wright (Eastington)
Wesson (Birmingham)
Corbyn (Norfolk, Birmingham)

Offline DiGi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 14:13 GMT (UK) »
You might find her listed on the prison ships to Australia.  The Australian records are brilliant.  Many children were transported too which was actually a blessing.  While in England they most likely did not receive an education.  In Australia, all transported children were educated and taught a trade which they wouldn't be if they'd remained in England.
West Lothian: Grant, Webster, Lowrie;  Fife:  Innes, Scotland, Wardlaw;  Northumberland: Armstrong, Gillings, Blenkinsop, Latimer, Shields;  Cumbria: Pearson, Gasgarth, Gibson, Rudd;  Kent: Cross, Atkins, Saunders, Sharp;  Norfolk: Bristow, Gillings, Birchall

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 19:08 GMT (UK) »
My 5xgreat grandfather was sent to Australia in 1791 for stealing a hog. He arrived in Sydney in 1792 and died just months later.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 December 23 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating, thanks. The lady in question was an 18-year-old girl at the time, who had nicked the blanket from the family she was in service to, which may have made it worse for her. I wonder if politics came into play with these sentences - I know the empire was settling Australia at the time, and they needed a good supply of young blood to do the work. Maybe the magistrates were 'encouraged' to dole out transportation for trivial crimes? Just a thought.
Actually Australia was settled as a way for the UK to get rid of some of their huge prison population. The first settlers in Australia were shiploads of prisoners.
Ultimately I think many of them, or their descendants, were better off afterwards. They could own land and run businesses.