Author Topic: Threadneedle Street or l'Hopital Spitalfileds Huguenot Church  (Read 337 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Threadneedle Street or l'Hopital Spitalfileds Huguenot Church
« on: Sunday 25 July 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
Is there any way of determining whether a baptism or marriage took place at the main Threadneedle Street French Huguenot church (L’Eglise Protestant) or the annexe on the corrner of Brick Lane and Fournier Street (L’Eglise de l’Hôpital), which operated from circa 1680 as a temporary wooden shack before the (still existing) brick building was built and opened in 1743*?

The CD transcriptions all state L’Eglise de Londres (Threadneedle Street) and the Ancestry originals all state Chapel of the Hospital, Spitalfields, but both clearly incude those of both churches/chapels since they incude dates from before the annexe was even built.

*There does appear to be a separate register for the later brick building building, titled l'Eglise Neuve (piece #4589) and containing events from 1753 to 1809.

I've put the details of all 14 of the relevant original registers from Ancestry into Excel to see if there is any logic in the date ranges, which may determine which is which (if it's even possible) and there are overlapping dates, particularly covering the period 1674-1746 (pieces 4553, 4554 and 4556 stand out as a run covering the wooden shack era) when the two chapels were operating at the same time, but I'm not sure yet if it makes any sense. The front pages of the registers don't contain any evidence that I can see.

Has anyone looked into this before? Grateful for any ideas...

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Threadneedle Street or l'Hopital Spitalfileds Huguenot Church
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 21 19:33 BST (UK) »
It could be worth contacting Rootschatter richarde1979 who is knowledgeable and helpful:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=101325

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk