Author Topic: Scott baptisms in Penrith 1808 and 1818  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scott baptisms in Penrith 1808 and 1818
« on: Sunday 25 July 21 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
If anyone has access to Penrith baptisms for 1808 and 1818, would they do a quick look up for me please?
Many years ago I borrowed a film from the LDS and found several baptisms for my family, but now, coming back to my notes I notice two baptisms appear to be duplicated

Thos. Scott, 31 Jan 1808 (son of) John Scott, and Jane Stranger
Thomas Scott, 31 Jan 1808, (son of) John Scott, and Jane Strong

Wilfrid Scott, 04 Oct 1818, (son of) John Scott, and Jane, Labourer, of Boroughgate
Ralph Scott, 04 Oct 1818, (son of) John Scott, and Jane

Can anyone help confirm if the entries are correct and if I have full details please?
Many thanks
Helen

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scott baptisms in Penrith 1808 and 1818
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 21 20:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, your details are correct.   Only the baptisms up to 1812 shows mothers maiden name unfortunately.   Would suggest that Wilfred and Ralph were probably twins but not shown as such on the transcriptions I have access to (FindMyPast). Also a Mary 27/12/1809 with mmn as Strong plus a John 13/11/1811.

Suspect there was possibly 2 couples named John and Jane as there are 10 baptisms between 1813 and 1821 all just stating parents as John and Jane.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scott baptisms in Penrith 1808 and 1818
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 July 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette
thank you for your reply, there are in fact at least 3 different families as i have managed to prove from the 1841 and 1851 census.
Sorry to mislead you, I should have specified that I needed someone with access to original baptisms of Penrith St Andrew to see what details were in the original registers.
I have learned from past experience that not all details are included in transcriptions. I am not saying that they are worthless at all, its just that when there is a query like this, it is best to go back to the originals.
thanks
Helen