Author Topic: 1939 Register - Walthamstow wrongly indexed streets(multiple) Told FindMyPast 2016!  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I haven't, and why should I?. I'm sure they monitor posts from various sources, and/or one of their employees will have read the items posted so far and 'suggested' getting down to what amounts to a bad representation of their responsibilities.
If they don't, it only just goes to show they don't care, and are just happy to get the money rolling-in because there's no accountability!
Maybe it should be broadcast via Facebook which is a facility I am not signed up to.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The 1939 Register was compiled at local council level; so it does depend on which council those streets were in in 1939.

And, if you aren't prepared to do anything about it, stop being a moaning minnie!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Maybe it should be broadcast via Facebook which is a facility I am not signed up to.

There are several very good Find My Past genealogy groups on Facebook. I don't think anyone else can do this for you, as you are probably the only one who can describe exactly what you mean.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thanks Groom - I've done my bit back in 2016 when I was much younger in my 70's. Cue "Listen carefully, I'll say this only once" - copyright script from 'Allo, Allo'.
As said I don't 'do' Facebook. It's all down to FindMyPast groups you mention exist there, and to keep their attention on postings (like this) on FH forums and take the action they are supposedly set up to represent. As it is, the blame is entirely laid at the door of FindMyPast who purport to accept errors and omissions. Issue COMPLETE - for me, but not resolved.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Hi Copper 1,

I am in New South Wales, Australia.  Your topic heading jumped out at me ..... wrongly indexed ... 

I have read all the replies offered so far.   

Like you I am not on facebook. 

So your local intimate knowledge of your own neighbourhood found  that there are many streets in that locality in Essex, England as per 1939 Register that have been listed on an online ondex with correct street names, but wrong district.  BUT significantly you have obviously  found the images of those streets at FMPs website even though FindMyPast has apparently not corrected the errors you informed them about around five years ago. 

So my question is .... Does the FindMyPast search dialogue box actually require you to enter  the name of the district ?  Was that District required to be included in the residential address by the Post Office,   ..... 

In other words,  how many family History buffs actually include the District and not just the street and town in their records for that 1939 register citations.   

So, you mention that you anticipate FindMyPast should be monitoring posts on RChat and ... by extension, I gather you therefore expect they must be able to find this thread and finally get  around to changing their index to reflect your local knowledge....  WOW .... Sorry, but I dont see the logic ..... how many members are active at RChat ....where are those members residing .... how many would have ancestors to find in the 1939 register for that part of Essex...

May I gently encourage you to again contact FindMyPast and ask them to follow up and sort out your query so that a better resolution is achieved for you.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thanks Groom - I've done my bit back in 2016 when I was much younger in my 70's. Cue "Listen carefully, I'll say this only once" - copyright script from 'Allo, Allo'.
As said I don't 'do' Facebook. It's all down to FindMyPast groups you mention exist there, and to keep their attention on postings (like this) on FH forums and take the action they are supposedly set up to represent. As it is, the blame is entirely laid at the door of FindMyPast who purport to accept errors and omissions. Issue COMPLETE - for me, but not resolved.
Copper I have no knowledge of the area you claim the errors are in and have little interest in them, however I would ask-
Are you sure there is an error, could the streets be on the 1939 Wanstead and Woodford enumerator's route, if so they would be included in the Wanstead and Woodford enumeration rather than the Walthamstow enumeration.
The same type of thing sometimes happens with census where enumerations do not always coincide with districts
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I don't really understand all the doubters.
All the many enumeration districts concerned are clearly in Walthamstow (see attachment) but indexed in W + W.
District CDOD starts in Hoe Street, very definitely not in Wanstead or Woodford!
Curiously though TNA itself lists that district there in 1939 ???
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C15023331

Lots of us have people from this area, which is now in London. Maybe they are not on Rootschat though! I was born in Essex south western RD and can back Copper1 up on these streets.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Perhaps the "problem" originated at TNA.
Could they be contacted about it? There may be nothing the websites can do about it.