Author Topic: New Ancestry Feature - Adding Births and Deaths to the Profile Facts  (Read 1004 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Rootschatters

Has any one else who uses Ancestry noticed all the extra stuff appearing in the Profile Person's Facts. In addition to the things like Birth Death Marriage Occupation etc. that we choose to add all the person's relatives' vital facts are added automatically in a grey shaded box.
Birth of Sister, Death of Father, Birth of Son, Death of Half-Sister etc. all listed under the Facts column and cluttering up the page so one has to scroll down through a lot of duplication of facts that really don't need to be there. There is a link for each person listed to take one to their Profile.

One of my trees has a man who had two wives and twenty children (some were twins). He also had thirteen siblings. There are over thirty grey shaded boxes attached to his Facts. It makes for a very cluttered look.
Most of this information already appears on the right side of the page (parents and wife and children)
and can be easily clicked on for further information.
I am assuming the purpose is to create a timeline showing what age the Profile person was when various milestones happened. Surely there is a better way to do this?

Has anyone found out if this "feature" can be turned off?

Venelow
Canada

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: New Ancestry Feature - Adding Births and Deaths to the Profile Facts
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 21 20:38 BST (UK) »
At the top of the persons facts, click filter and untick family events. It seems to apply to all profiles.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 July 21 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thank You Comberton!

That's a relief.

Best Wishes
Venelow

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 July 21 21:12 BST (UK) »

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 July 21 11:58 BST (UK) »
I am hitch hiking on this as it concerns a similar thing...Why do I get Census and then under it Residence for the same year. As said earlier it is clutter I would sooner do without and when you have seven census for someone I don't then need seven residences!! Incidentally the "source" is attached to the residence and not the census as I would prefer.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 July 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, I find the repetition of residence for every census annoying; in the situation where some people remain in the same house or cottage for 50 years, it's just a complete waste of screen space.
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 August 21 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Larkspur and Joney

The Residence thing is annoying especially as 'Census' appears in the list of add-ons. I delete Residence. During the delete process a message states that you can delete it but the source record attached will not be deleted. You can then add Census from the list of add-ons and although it won't show the link it's pretty easy to spot the census records in the list of other records.

You can add the full census date if you wish and put the address in the location box. In the description box I add some details about who else is in the household. This can be useful if there is someone whose presence provides extra evidence of relationships.

I use the Residence box for locations found in non-census records such as Parish records, apprentice records, land records or the 1939 England and Wales Register.

Hope this helps.
Venelow
Canada

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions, Venelow. . I'll look at doing that.
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 August 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Venelow. I have almost 11,000 names to check since putting my full tree on Ancestry. Along with the dozens of sources that make no sense at all that I need to remove. I am not sure that I will live long enough to complete this task!!  :-\  I have entered all of the census info on my home tree for each and every person involved, but this does not upload to Ancestry from a Gedcom, it just appears as an unsourced citation, along with a separate citation for the census reference numbers  ???  oh well nose to the grindstone...
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley